CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2018 650 Outlander Engine Braking

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 11:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 650 Outlander Engine Braking

Been a Polaris owner for years and here in Hells Canyon Idaho the "Decent Control" is a must have.

Now my neighbors all ride Polaris and I have a 2007 and a 1996 and they get used everyday. One thing that has turned me off to Polaris is how they have cheapened them up especially when you compare any of them to the 96 that has 4000 hrs on it the seat and plastic is near perfect.

Anyway been looking at the CanAm Outlander 650 but am a little concerned about it only having "Engine Braking" and no Decent Control. Here is my question. Have any of you guys who ride the 650 had them in a really steep long (1/2 mile or so) down hill go and felt comfortable and in control? The 96 above with just engine braking is frighting to ride on those long open slopes on the Snake River side here as all you have is engine braking and brakes and of course it's a 96 and wants to run off. I bought the 97 explicitly for the Decent Control. 2007 was the first year Polaris offered it in the Deluxe model.

So if any of you guys have first hand experience with the above mentioned (really steep riding) would like to hear your take. Appreciate all responses and thanks.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I had Polaris machines in the past with just the rear engine braking and it could get exciting going down hills with only the rear axle grabbing. I went from the 2006 Polaris Sportsman X2 500 to a 2012 Can-Am Outlander Max XTP 650. Hands down, the Can-Am engine braking will amaze you. If you have it in 4wd all 4 wheels will brake. I've heard some complain that it brakes too much. You can literally lay off the brake and let it go down the hill at slower than walking speed. I took the XTP out to the Paiute Trail in Utah last year and it crawled down the gnarliest hills with complete control. Don't know what year you are looking at with the Outlander 650. If power steering is available on the one you are looking at, it adds that much more pleasure to descending hills as you don't have to wrestle with the handlebars as the majority of weight moves forward going downhill.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response.

Talked with a guy the other day that said he did not like the engine braking as it braked to much. I can see that on milder trails but in the really steep stuff that we have here on the ranch it's great to stay under control so I don't see too much braking as a problem. I was worried it would not brake enough but am starting to see it will probably be a good thing. Thinking about getting a 2018 with power steering as the 2007 Polaris needs work and will become the back-up.

Is there anything you don't like about the 650? Is maintenance and oil changes simple or a pain in the rear? Thanks for any response.