CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2004 ds650 Baja x missing at high rpm when warmed up.

Old 08-03-2018, 12:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ds650 Baja x missing at high rpm when warmed up.

My ds 650 is missing at higher rpms while driving. This only starts happening once it is warm. It has a mad gun over Rev box k&n air filter and a jetting kit. It also has two fairly new ngk plugs. I recently cleaned and oiled the air fliter which seemed to help slightly but my problem is still there. I am only running 87 octane fuel and 91 is recommended on the fuel cap. Could this cause the problem. The carb also does leak out of the overflow drain when sitting for a while but only if the machine is off. While riding it's fine. I think the float needle is just stuck. Would this cause this problem. The missing isn't very bad only cuts out for a second and then keeps going. Any ideas. I just recently got into quading so my knowledge on quads is fairly low.

Old 09-19-2018, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on your description of it chokes out only when warm - one of your coils could be near the end of its useful life. Sometimes they don’t act up when they’re cold, but they become weak and faulty once they get hot. Whats strange tho is, if your up to running temp, a weak coil would likely cause misfires all over the rpm range and not just high rpms. could be carb related

To determine if it’s carb related I’d do a plug reading. get it to a spot where u can open it up. Warm it up to temp, shut it down and swap the plugs with new. Start it back up, and immediately rip thru the gears, when you get to the choke point, pull clutch in and hit kill switch. Roll to a stop and pull the plug to see if it’s rich or lean condition.

Sounds like you just bought the quad with jetting already done? If so, i recomend pulling the carb and write down the jetting and needle clip position to figure out your current baseline. Fix the float needle while you got it out and give it a good cleaning. Is it running with airbox lid on/off? Does it run with choke on when warm? Only asking these questions because when I bought mine the previous owner had jetted the carb to compensate for incorrect float and needle position. As a result the quad ran like a complete pile of crap. Was all messed up.

Once you know the jetting that’s in it do a thorough read thru OMR carb mods and compare with what you got.

Hard to say without seeing run - could be a combo of a couple small things going on - incorrect float height, needle clip position height, etc etc. Plug reading, good carb cleaning, along with reading thru OMR carb writeup will get you moving in the right direction.