CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Big Gun Exhaust News

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called Big Gun yesterday and talked with one of their techs about the exhaust system for the DS. He told me they are coming out with a new quiet series exhaust around Jan. 15 2002. He said the magazine ads they have claiming 94dB are old numbers and they actually are around 96-98dB (107dB with the race core.) These numbers are based on 1/2 throttle.

He said they are working to reduce these numbers to the 92dB range so the pipe would be legal for the Oregon coast and other areas with noise restrictions. (Someone may have better information on Oregon requirements.)

The quiet core portion of the pipe can be easily removed and inserted depending on the riding area (according to the tech.)

They were very honest and actually suggested I wait on my purchase since I want a pipe I can use in Oregon.

I am still interested in hearing about other pipes being used but, I want one I can use in Oregon (92dB range.) Please provide input if you have any history.

Big Gun said the installation should take about a 1/2 hour and I cold re-use my existing heat shield. (This is for the exhaust system, not just the pipe.) I am not sure if sealant is included in their kit (didn't ask.)

Old 12-22-2001, 08:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Copied From Oregon Dunes Site...

"NRA Noise and Sound Tests

What’s the sound limit at the Oregon Dunes?
Vehicles operating at the Oregon Dunes NRA must be 93dB or less.

Have Your Vehicle Checked!
You can request a sound test before riding, call ahead to schedule an appointment with the Oregon Dunes Sound Crew.

The Sound Test
As defined by state and federal law, vehicle sound is measured by a decibel meter 20 inches and 45 degrees for the exhaust outlet. ATVs and motorcycles are tested at 50% of the manufacture’s RPM recommendation. Class II vehicles are tested at 75% of the engine’s maximum RPM."

I have heard talk of the 93 db being lowered to 90 db