CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Curious about modded DS vs. modded Banshee...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a curiosity question.

How does a modded DS do in a sand drag with a modded Banshee?

I have been reading for a while about all the mods that help the DS beat a Raptor. But I no longer hear about the Banshee, which used to be king of the dunes.

I do not own a DS. I do not live near the sand dunes (CT). I do own a Banshee, but it is for my wife to ride. I am just curious when getting into heavy mods which is faster. Before the big 4 strokes came out, the Banshee (modded) was king. Or so I was told. I wondered if it is still a viable threat with the right mods?

Old 12-20-2001, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

dollar for dollar, we can't touch the banshee. however, if you like a more comfortable ride. you can beat the ds.
just my .02

Old 12-20-2001, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks.

I am not downing the DS at all. I read the Bomb section to pass time at work, look for hopeful news of a MX racer from Bomb, and see what you DS riders are up to. But I have only been hearing about beating Modded Raptors for a while and wondered how the old Banshee still stacked up.

I am sure the handling of the DS in the desert is better than the banshee. Just were not sure if you guys got the power output with mods that the Banshee can achieve.

Old 12-20-2001, 08:01 PM
Pro Rider

Lasher~
The Banshee has unlimited potential when running on Alcohol and 500+ cc's. But now there are guys with DS's that are running on turbos, fuel injection, NOS, methanol and who knows what else. I don't live anywhere near any dunes, so I can't say I've seen anything of that level racing. don't think a stretched alky banshee would do so well on the wooded trails around WI!lol! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2001, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

ok real world riding stories. i have a couple of guys i ride with that have shees. both bikes are about 3-4g's away from stock and running on high octane fuel. they have paddles and shaved off fenders and one guy weighs an easy 70 pounds less than me i'm 5'11 215. my ds is totally stock "-shock covers". they whoop on me 97% of the time on straight away drags. every other type of riding we are neck and neck. just seems wierd is that when we switch out bikes, they seem to like saddle time on the ds way more. i can't get my bike back! comfort and solid feeling the Ds is par none. There shees are great to ride the front end flys up on command and that powerband makes me grin ear to ear.I think i can state this for all ds owners, there is just something about our bikes that make it feel so right for us. Quality Built. Rock Solid Feel.

P.S. our trannys don't leave us stranded

Old 12-20-2001, 09:30 PM
Range Rover

Mods to help a DS beat a RAPTOR??????????????!!!!!!! WHAT? Stock for stock My Ds will smoke raptors. I have beat a 2001 and a 2002 raptor in a drag race by numerous bike lengths. And my Stock DS stayed right with a Banshee that had fmf pipes and silencers, boysen reeds and k&n filters. The banshee would only pull away when i hit my rev limiter in 5th gear and his wasnt much faster on top end than mine even with me hitting the rev limiter. We were racing on a long straight asphalt road. And the Raptors dont stand a chance once my DS is in 4th gear.

Old 12-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

lasher ok its hard for me to say this. but dollar for dollar you can't touch the banshee with a ds. no way and i do have a buff ds. but when you have a 540 aklky banshee with a close ratio half cut tranny.
the only thing you get to to do is stomp ds's at the drags it is no longer good for any thing else but dragging .on the the other hand a buff ds can do it any where any time and as long as you want.but also short of akly there are few banshees that do beat a buff ds.
by my frist statement i mean for what i have in my ds you can proabably build two banshees that can beat me.

by the way your 250R can can also be alkyied too the same deadly sting of the banshees.it dose pain me to say it but its true oh yes its true.sorry guy's but i couldn't lie to the man

Old 12-21-2001, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider

I will agree, the fastest Banshees can beat the fastest DS's[I'm working on changing that], and they can do it cheaper, the first time. One big difference is, once the DS is built properly, it will out last an equally powerfull Banshee motors 2-3 times over. When you re-build the Banshee the first time, your close to the same price, and after the second re-build, you've spent more.

It's only the very fastest[top 2% maybe] Banshees that are faster than the fastest DS's, and those motors would never survive a trail ride either. The 4-strokes can.

Old 12-21-2001, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys, you answered my question.

I know there are so many things you can do to change either quad to be "better" than the other in riding (non drag), but I was just curious about all out drag racing chock full of mods. Never heard it mentioned.

AZSAND - No thanks on the alky fuel. I race MX and am happy with VP C-12.

Old 12-21-2001, 10:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Hey knutz i couldn't agree more but unfortunatly for me i run were that 2%hang out.and when you do develop and alky eater ill be the frist in line.on t-day there were no less than 100 of them stageing
every night.[curse the alky gods]

Quick Reply: Curious about modded DS vs. modded Banshee...