ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   CAN-AM (BRP) (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/)
-   -   HMF Quiet Core Slip-On....I like. (https://atvconnection.com/forums/can-am-brp/54518-hmf-quiet-core-slip-i-like.html)

fourlix 01-07-2002 11:02 PM

It sounds and performs pretty much just like my modded end-cap. But it is gorgeous and weighs pounds less. It is louder than the Raptor's HMF quiet core by a decibel or two, but it is still okay.
I doubt it would pass the stringent Oregon 93 db test. I'd guess this is about 95 db. Pretty acceptable as far as I'm concerned, with a richer tone than the modded end cap. It has the required low end punch that everything except for the stock exhaust provides.
..... $189 + $25 quiet core insert + $20 spark arrestor + $20 shipping = $254
.....I have tried the FMF slip-on,,too loud. The HMF regular slip-on,,too loud. Both had nice power gains but I simply couldn't use them where I ride,,,which is sometimes maybe where I'm just maybe not supposed to be..
.....Then I made several end caps. Quieter than the regular slip-ons by a long shot, yet with most of the punch. Butt ugly. BBQ paint the only solution to my welding burning the chrome and nickel out of the stock stainless steel endcap. I even tried to drum up enough interest to make a dozen or so and justify the expense of setting up my MIG welder for stainless. Lack of interest led me to can that project.
.....Then I bought a HMF quiet core for my son's Raptor. Very nice. Fit and finish excellent. And big power gains. Barely louder than stock. Just what we wanted.
......So here it is. A civilized way to get a broader powerband for your DS. The 175 mainjet still seems fine, I may raise the needle up one notch, we'll see. I will give further impressions once I get some more time on it. How about Andy Rooney? Don Adams? Roger Rabbit? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Knutz and Buttfungus can try my endcap if they want.

buttfungus 01-07-2002 11:56 PM

fourlix, Great news! In your opinion, does the new HMF quiet core slip on, perform better than your modded endcap?

fourlix 01-08-2002 12:58 AM

I just took it on a quick ride, I put it on late this afternoon. It felt just the same as the modded endcap, power-wise and noise-wise, but it sounds better, deeper richer tone, looks fantastic, nice piece of work, and weighs half as much as the stock muffler.
...... I did a couple of full out drags out in the field and putted around a little. I was on a big ride yesterday and it really felt the same as the modded endcap. Full broad powerband, like the slip-ons and modded end cap. Not nearly as loud as the slip-ons but a bit louder than stock. but not that much louder. Best sounding tonewise of anything I've tried. It sounds rich and full and maybe a little loud, but it is not going to rattle the garage windows. You could still piss off a neighbor if you wanted to. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Xplor 01-08-2002 05:59 PM

Fourlix... just a thought.

This is for the Raptor: I started out with the HMF headpipe and silent core. I added the pro-flow filter with dynojet kit. I thought the silent core was considered a "flow-through" system so I jetted accordingly. It was way too rich!!! ........but....... after removing the airbox lid this thing ripped and the sound was even cooler. Tons more power and not much louder... but throatier. If you run where there is no water this may be a good way for you to get maximum power out of the silent core set-up.(for the Raptor... maybe for the DS too???)

After adding the flow-through exaust I did notice more power... but compared to the silent core with no lid it is tough to tell if there is "that much" difference. Most likely more torque with the flow-through core.

I too am starting to find my HMF noisy (around the houses to get to the trails)... so I may just pop back in the silent core and remove the back half of the lid. It seems like a good alternative to get the most power while respecting my neighbors. Plus I do not want to lose power or pull the carbs apart again.

girthyguy 01-09-2002 06:07 PM

Fourlix,
I was wondering how the Baja now compares to your sons Raptor in a drag. Im interested because, I narrowed my next quad down to either the Baja, Raptor, or the new Suzuki. I to need to have a quiet pipe, if I do put a pipe on the quad. So any info would be great.

Thanks Matty

fourlix 01-09-2002 07:49 PM

Great question. We are getting ready for an ORYX hunt, one day only, this Saturday. This is a once in a lifetime hunt, literally. I was drawn this year, once drawn, you can never put in again. So I don't think we can answer your question right away.
.....We have had both these quads since about April, and absolutely love both of them. Skyler loves his Raptor, and I love my DS. Both have
mods which refine and improve the beast, not change its character. Now that they both have HMF quiet core slip-ons a drag is imperative. He still has a significant weight advantage but that is a given. A tie means the DS wins. The best I have ever done against him is a tie. He has beaten me by as much as 4 lengths.
Raptor + Skyler = 490 lbs.
DS + Dad = 670 lbs.
......I often think about which I would buy if I had to do it all over again. I rode the Raptor a bit last weekend, and after all the work I've done on the DS suspension, and the Raptor has had none, I was horrified at what a rough ride it was. Works shocks are on the way. Dual rate Steelers will be a big improvement for not too much dough. Santa is pretty tapped out. Rezzys can come later.
......I am getting a special spring set-up from Works, 240 lb helpers with 210 mains. This should give him a smooth ride in the rough stuff but give him plenty of spring to land the big jumps. This is kind of what TCS does. I am going to a 210 lb mainspring on my DS too. The 175 mains are just too soft for big landings. I'm thinking this 210 is the one.
......It has been,and still is, a great long term shoot-out. The Raptor feels lighter and shorter, they both have gobs of power all over the place, they are both fantastic machines. The DS shifts better, they both needed front shocks. The Raptor needed a wider rear axle and the DS needed TimmyBoy A-arms to correct the lack of caster. The Raptor's reverse is geared too high to get you out of any situation where you really need it, so it really isn't that big a deal.
.......Both see big improvements for 2002. The Baja vs The 2002 Raptor is a tough call. If you are a big guy, over 6' and over 200, you may like the DS better. If you want to race MX or woods you will probably like the Raptor better. The DS is a great trail machine. It absolutely eats up everything in its path. They both will still need front shocks.
The Raptor will still need a wider rear axle. And they both will still benefit from an HMF Quiet Core Slip-on with spark arrestor.
.......They are both great quads. And I think the new Zuki is going to be great too. Decisions, decisions.

JSsDS 01-10-2002 12:48 PM

Fourlix,
First of all, what is a ORYX hunt(sounds like fun) and where is it held? Is it an annual event? If you can only enter once, how can they continue to fill the event considering there are a limited number of people with quads (assuming its limited to just quads)? Just curious.

Have you and Skyler ever swapped quads (you on the raptor - Skyler on the ds) and race? If so, how did the DS do once the weight was more evened out Yah, I know, its alot of questions. thanks in advance

fourlix 01-10-2002 02:35 PM

ORYX is a large African Antelope that was introduced into Southern New Mexico, along with the IBEX, about 30 years ago. They need little water, and were chosen for their large size, and ability to survive, even thrive in the desert. The IBEX has not done quite as well, but there are hunts for it too. Still, the numbers are few, and getting to hunt either one is a very fortunate opportunity. Oh, and the meat is excellent, as good as elk, and ORYX are nearly as big. Adults range from 500 to 800 lbs. Their nearly straight but ringed, sort of corrugated black horns are permanent on both cows and bulls. The hunt is for either sex as you can't tell them apart till you get close. I am hoping for a good trophy and a freezer full of meat. Skyler already got a 5x5 Elk this year, we may need another freezer.
.....Now here's the funny part. This is a one day hunt on the White Sands Missle Range. They have become so well established here that once a year they allow hunters who have drawn to hunt on the Military missle range. They're sort of pests. They are big goats, and they have to control the size of the herd. Security is super tight, but they basically want you to get an animal and get out. No cameras, pictures, no handguns, no alcohol, watch out for unexploded ordinance from bombs to cluster bombs. 5:30 AM mandatory briefing on rules and regs on the missle range. If you follow the rules and act nice they might tell you where the herd is. I am taking my son Skyler as my mandatory guest. I
am using a Browning BAR 7mm Mag with a 308 Savage as backup. 4-wheelers are allowed to retrieve game only, but you must have a valid motorcycle license, insurance and registration for all vehicles must be submitted.
We are not going to take the grizz, just going in our Chevy 4x4.
........Wish me luck!

........Skyler has the webbing on his nerfs so tight I have trouble shifting it. I can't get my foot under the shift lever easily. So we don't try dragging each other on each others quads. It would make sense to try it, I just can't shift it right, and I haven't been able to loosen the webbing, and he likes it just fine, so?....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

JSsDS 01-10-2002 03:10 PM

Well...dont I feel stupid. I guess I should have stayed awake during Marlin Perkins Animal kingdom, at least I would have known that an orix was an animal. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I thaught it stood for off-road-?-cross or something that involved racing. Still sounds like fun though. Best of luck to ya guys.

2000DS650 01-12-2002 02:09 PM

<< It sounds and performs pretty much just like my modded end-cap. But it is gorgeous and weighs pounds less. It is louder than the Raptor's HMF quiet core by a decibel or two, but it is still okay.
I doubt it would pass the stringent Oregon 93 db test. I'd guess this is about 95 db. Pretty acceptable as far as I'm concerned, with a richer tone than the modded end cap. It has the required low end punch that everything except for the stock exhaust provides.
..... $189 + $25 quiet core insert + $20 spark arrestor + $20 shipping = $254
.....I have tried the FMF slip-on,,too loud. The HMF regular slip-on,,too loud. Both had nice power gains but I simply couldn't use them where I ride,,,which is sometimes maybe where I'm just maybe not supposed to be..
.....Then I made several end caps. Quieter than the regular slip-ons by a long shot, yet with most of the punch. Butt ugly. BBQ paint the only solution to my welding burning the chrome and nickel out of the stock stainless steel endcap. I even tried to drum up enough interest to make a dozen or so and justify the expense of setting up my MIG welder for stainless. Lack of interest led me to can that project.
.....Then I bought a HMF quiet core for my son's Raptor. Very nice. Fit and finish excellent. And big power gains. Barely louder than stock. Just what we wanted.
......So here it is. A civilized way to get a broader powerband for your DS. The 175 mainjet still seems fine, I may raise the needle up one notch, we'll see. I will give further impressions once I get some more time on it. How about Andy Rooney? Don Adams? Roger Rabbit? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Knutz and Buttfungus can try my endcap if they want.
>>

When I was tested last summer at 101 dB with the Custom X Series 2 pipe they (Oregon Dune Patrol) told me they would allow as high as 95 dB without writing a ticket, probably because of some inaccuracies in their testing process. That HMF sounds like it might just be a winner if it for sure isn't any louder than 95 dB.