CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Breather line overflow

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2002, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breather line overflow

im not sure if this is a problem but the inlet fitting are in the middle of the can so when the oil enters the breather/overflow it will settle in the can and not go back into the motor, that what it looks like to me i might be wrong, they both look like that have a drain on them to drain the oil out after it has the oil has gotten in it. thas the problem i see, no way for the oil to get back into the motor

Old 11-05-2002, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

You are right there is no way for the oil to get back into the engine, BUT, better in the can than all over my quad!

Old 11-05-2002, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

true very true, i had designed a setup that i hope will work for the problem that we are having, right now im just waiting on a friend to finish machining the parts so i can give it a test run. ill let you know how it turns out when im done with it

Old 12-03-2002, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Finally, enough riding time to give my opinion on the mini from Jaz.

Looks good with a chrome breather.

I did manage to have a LITTLE bit of leakage from the filter but MUCH less than anything else I've tried.

It was mounted on a slight angle but have since found a way to put it straight up.

This may work even better.

Overall, for guys that are having a lot of blow by like I have, I give it a thumbs up.

I'm just a little confused as to why it would come out the filter when the can wasn't full.

Old 12-03-2002, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear it's working for you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Mounting it straight up will help. Also limiting (if possible) air flow across the filter would help. Air flow across the filter creates a draw much like a chiminey, pulling more oil vapor out before it has a chance to settle to a liquid form. I am curious as to how you routed the hose to the can. I would recommend that you use gravity to help you. You might try running the hose up the radiator support to the top rail of the frame and then back to the can so that most of the oil can flow back to the crankcase and only vapor can make it to the can. Just a suggestion, this has worked for my DS.

Old 12-03-2002, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Al, did you figure out why the oil in the catch can looked milky. I know your engine oil was fine. But why was the catch can oil that way?

Old 12-03-2002, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Eaglecollector
Hey Al, did you figure out why the oil in the catch can looked milky. I know your engine oil was fine. But why was the catch can oil that way?
No, and I just dumped it yesterday and it was all milky. Just changed the oil too and everything looksa fine. Maybe there was something in it from the factory.

Ken, right now I run the line up the radiator and then to the back. It's actually mounted in one of the holes that the airbox was attached to.

I will try to find a way to limit the air across the filter. I can probably have a piece of aluminum made to go around the filter. Or at least in front of it.

Thanks Al

As soon as I get the Pig cleaned up I will post a picture somewhere.

Old 12-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

How big is it? I saw it was 3" diameter but how long is it? Is the filter servicable?
Thanks

Old 12-03-2002, 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ward660R
How big is it? I saw it was 3" diameter but how long is it? Is the filter servicable?
Thanks
Sitting here, I'm looking at a Coke can and I'd say it's a little smaller than that. If you want exact measurements, let me know.

The filter is removeable for cleaning.

Old 12-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

No the coke can measurement is great. I am just thinking about this for my cranckcase breather since I don't have an air box. Most people use a little K&N but different is good.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Thanks for the quick help