CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Widths & Wheelbase

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Widths & Wheelbase

Do you guys think this would be a good MX set-up?

+1" A-arms
Hiper 4+1 Carbon Fiber Front Beadlock Wheels
20" ITP Holeshot MX Fronts
Elka Quad-Rate "Elite-Series" Piggyback Front Shocks
+1" Steering Stem
-1" Swing-arm
Elka Dual-Rate "Elite-Series" Remote Rear Shock
+2" RAD Titanium Axle w/Honda style wheels Hubs
Hiper 4.5+4.5 Carbon Fiber Rear Beadlock Wheels
18" ITP Holeshot MX Rears

Thanks guys

Old 10-30-2002, 11:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow, that's serious stuff!
If I saw a DS set up with all that, I'd be really impressed. I don't MX race, but from what I read and see, this sounds like a hell of a setup.
I'd guess you're going for 8" rims in the back? Those honda hubs will accomidate that, since the stock hubs won't from what I hear.
I didn't know those offsets were available on the carbon fibers - its great they are now.
-1 swingarm is a big plus, I've pondered that route for my all-around quad as well.

Old 10-31-2002, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

That's an expensive proposition, that will only give you mediocre results. We like our DS's but they are not an MX quad. They land okay, but mid-air control is pretty impossible, even with mods like you are talking about. I think of the DS as a Desert Sled, a fireroad monster, a heavy-hitting trail machine, not for MX. The DS does what it does best with all four wheels on the ground.
......There is going to be a new mid-size, 450, lightweight DS, I don't know when, but it will happen. And the rumor mill is stirring up again with a new aluminum frame 450 Honda and a 450 Yamaha.
......Point is, with these new quads, as well as the tricked out 400EXs, Cannondales, and the Predator, a trick DS-650 is going to have a really hard time being competitive.
....Save your money for a true MX machine. The DS has its place, but it's not on an MX track.
.....I have ridden the Predator and liked it a lot. You might consider keeping your DS and buying a Predator, which is going to cost about as much as all those mods you mentioned. The Predator is kinda what everybody wanted the DS to be, just a little smaller, and 60 lbs lighter. Handling, suspension and power are right on, and it doesn't need any mods, just nerfs. Try it, you might like it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-01-2002, 12:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know anything about Kodiak, never met him, but I do know that if "I" was gonna race MX, the DS is the only quad I could do it on because of my size. I'm not the slightest bit fat, but I am "Hightower", and at 6'8" nothing else I've ever ridden has the correct Bars/Seat/Pegs ergonomics for me to successfully run at high spead and take jumps. You can make anything long enough and wide enough for me, but the ergo relationship is a different story.
If I wanted to race MX (plus 30 class) for the fun of doing it, it would be on a DS because anything else would hinder me worse than the DS would hinder the average guy. The DS does have its place on the MX track, it just has a much smaller demand.

Old 11-01-2002, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Well I would like to get a Cannondale, but I wanna wait until the 450 comes out so Im gonna keep my DS for another year or so. I'm not quite as big as hightower.....Im 5' 9" and 165lbs.