CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

clicking noise 400 outlander

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clicking noise 400 outlander

Thanks Endoman , I received the document. I wont be able to take it to the dealer untill after this long weekend. Going into the mountains for four days.......Good women,song,beer and of coarse quading...
Thanks to all that replied,and Endoman,I owe you a beer!!!!!!!
Ride hard,ride safe.....keep the rubber side down boys....
Mountainman

Old 09-15-2003, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I too have the clicking and chirping noise when I step on the machine and ride on trails. I've had the 04 outlander in to the dealer 3 times now (bought it new 1 month ago) and after ten minutes of riding the same thing happens. I'm ready to sell the thing and take a loss on it I'm so P@ssed off. Also, the quad won't start after sitting for a couple of days. The thing turns over a couple of times but then stops and the starter just spins and clicks witout turning the engine over. the only thing keeping me from selling the thing is that other than the two problems the thing is a great quad. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do???[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2003, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

SXR6 and Mountainman.....You are hearing noises beyond the swingarm? I am a new Bombardier dealer. We have a 400 Outlander with noises coming from the clutch. It also had the swingarm noise, which we fixed, but we cannot figure out this clutch noise. We rode it with the clutch cover off, and could see the clutch slamming over when engaging or dissengaging. It is hard to figure out where this noise is coming from, but it is simultaneous with the clutch slamming over.

Bombardier thinks a thrust washer on the crankshaft is missing. We have had it off several times, even switched complete clutch assemblies with another unit to no avail. Fortunately the buyer of this quad is a good customer and I swapped him out for another Outlander at the first sign of these multiple problems. So this is an unregistered, and unsold unit. If someone had been stuck with this lemon they would not be happy campers. As the dealer I guess I am the one stuck with it. The intended owner has two outlanders and a traxter max and loves them all.

This is as yet unresolved, but sounds a lot like your problem.

Old 09-16-2003, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

You got that free extended warrantee plan with your 04 right? Have the dealer fix the electrical problem and make them fully aware of the noise issue. I had the noise you described prior to my 10 hr service and they applied the spline grease fix (which I'd read about here first) at that time. The noise has not returned, but if it did they'd be seeing my machine on a regualr basis until it was fixed or the warantee ran out.

Old 09-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

[quote]
Originally posted by: fourlix
Fortunately the buyer of this quad is a good customer and I swapped him out for another Outlander at the first sign of these multiple problems. So this is an unregistered, and unsold unit. If someone had been stuck with this lemon they would not be happy campers. As the dealer I guess I am the one stuck with it. [quote]

Which goes to show you cannot overestimate the value of a good dealership that takes care of it's customers. The service department at the dealership where I bought my Outlander in Salisbury, Ma was a main consideration when it was time for a purchase. I had dealt with them before with my personal watercraft and they were head and shoulders above any other area dealership service department I'd ever experienced. They go the extra mile for their customers and that WILL bring me back to them for all my furture purchases and I do like to buy toys ;-)

Steve

Old 10-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Fourlix, Since your a dealer I thought you'd be the perfect person to ask about the drive shaft noise that the Outlanders seem to have. My 400 Outlander has a horrific noise coming from the drive shaft. It has been diagnosed to be where the drive shaft connects to the engine, when applying the brake especially in 2 wheel drive the back wheels lock up and the metal clanging/banging noise is caused from the shaft and the coupler twisting back and forth. Bombardier is aware of this problem and my question to you, do you think with all this movement that this is a failure waiting to happen? MY DEALER said to follow through with this complaint and keep on Bombardier and to tell others that have this noise to lodge their complaint with your dealer and with Bombardier. It is easy, just call 1-800/882-2900 and they setup a case number for you. Good luck and keep me posted on what happens. Thanks LanderladyText

So far 3 dealerships have lodged complaints and mine is one of them.