CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

decided not to get a ds650 :-(

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 01:32 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decided not to get a ds650 :-(

tirespinner- With what you posted for choices (kawi 400 or 440 ex) you will not have to worry about spinning the tires. lol Sounds like you were knocking on the DS to me. I would think most quads would suck in the snow unless they were 4 x 4's. Although i do not ride the big yellow special ed bus, i do not take cheap shots at that overweight tank.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] J/K I wish they were slower when modded, (not kidding) lol

Old 04-13-2003, 03:48 AM
Pro Rider

That snow will come in handy when your honda starts losing power because the engine is so hot. Just throw it on the engine. Or have a DS in front of yah roostin on the motor.

Old 04-13-2003, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

OH SHIZ we got a live one.....dude its starts w/ a J ends w/ a E............oh screw ur not smart enough to figure it out...its called a joke....J-O-K-E....YEA WE DID IT...u get a cookie!!!!

and if u can manage to scramble up enough brain cells... look up JOKE up in one of those big books w/ all of those words in it!

Old 04-13-2003, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

kehale,

I have a snowmobile, thanks. It also happens to be 2x faster or more than any quad. 800cc's of triple-piped triple cylindered 2-stroke muscle. 170+ horsepower.

But see, I'm looking for a quad that is good in snow, k?

And the DS didn't impress me too much in that department. But if I see a good deal on a used DS, i might jump on it, who knows.

I'm stressed out at trying to figure out what quad I want :-/

Beh.

Old 04-13-2003, 12:52 PM
Pro Rider

Try a V-force...no chain to F- with...pretty quick bike...auto- tranny......check it out....Id love to have one

Old 04-13-2003, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

looking for something used.

Hey lilnotts, so your saying the quad is decent in snowmobile trails??

I found that when you try to follow in another quad's tracks, you keep fishing around from side to side since the tire tracks are much wider on the DS. If you happen to fall off trail, 460 pounds and 2x4 is not the easiest thing to un-stuck.

Another issue that bothers me is the DS's capability to wheelie at speed(to pass over obstacles in fast trails). Do you have any problems with this, I know the 400ex can easily lift the front wheels on the 4th gear. I didn't get the chance to try it much during my test drive.

I have to say, in open fields, the DS was a pure adrenaline rush and no quad i've ever driven even matches that. But winter is important to me since I can't ride a lot during the summer because I'll probably be taking a military course for the whole summer. (I'm a CF reservist for 4AD).

I do dislike the Honda for it's lack of liquid-cooling, but it's light weight and quick steering makes it agile and fun.

I just can't get myself to make a decision.

Old 04-13-2003, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I got carlisle rear tires on my warrior and that quad goes through any thing including deep snow. Its just as good as driving a 380 snowmobile.

Old 04-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

I find that i can do decently in snow unless i'm going snow and then i just pin it, then i start to really spin bad, if i just slowly give it more throttle i do fine, if your running on packed snow i'm fine, but then again i'm usually running skis on the front, and i do agree it does suck when you get stuck wit a ds, if your really that worried about gettin stuck, and your going to do most of your riding in the snow then i'd suggest gettin a 400ex, drop a tooth on the front sprocket and get some realtors, then you should have no problems

Old 04-14-2003, 02:31 AM
Elite Pro Rider

i have a little saddle time on the ds in the snow, he is right they kind of suck in the snow, the thing is all 2 wheel drive quads basically suck in the snow, a blaster does work ok until the engine gets hot, which is soon. the snowmoblie is the rig in the snow. but hey i just got back from the dunes, and guess what was there rmk 700 not 170 horse but still a 2 stroke, although i have rode a 240 horse rmk but that the was stupid fast. well the 700 and his two friends come to the comp hill, well they even came to the line it wasn't as fast as the ds[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] so maybe quads should stay to mud and sand, and snowmoblies should stay to snow, oh he dug a ski into the sand and his weekend was over.

Old 04-14-2003, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

This is my first post so I wanna start off by saying hey guys! I bought a 03' Baja in November and live in the UP of Michigan so I have alittle ride time in the snow as well. Ive got a snowmachine so I only took it out a couple times in the winter. When you ride the DS in more than 6 in's of snow the a-arms dig in and shoots snow all over you. It acted like any other sport atv in the snow. All im gonna use my DS is for trail riding, sorry to say but it will probably never see any dunes. Im 6ft and weigh only 160 lbs and i feel completely comfortable on it. I couldnt be more happy for picking this quad. Tyrespinner, just like ppl have already said all atvs are not gonna perform as well in the snow, cuz yah theyre really not made for it. But to me it sounds like you need something sporty and have the option of 4X4. The only atv i can think of would be a Scrambler or something like that. Good luck!

Quick Reply: decided not to get a ds650 :-(