Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Jetmoto 150 making strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetmoto 150 making strange noise

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have a question. I just received a new Jetmoto 150 over the weekend from Raceway, put it together, ran it all of Saturday and everything seemed great. On Sunday it aquired a stange noise which seems to be coming from the rear. It's kinda like a poping noise almost a crunch. It doesn't happen all of the time. Usually when slowing down or speeding up. Sometimes when slowing down to take corners. It seems to be possibly coming from the chain or the chain tension arm. It's just so hard to pinpoint. Everything seems to solid and bolts are all tight. Anyone have this problem and know what it is?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-2007, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider

You could be hearing the chain slap the swing arm, Is your chain too lose? I kind of gotten use to the chain slap noise! Also both of my 150's have a rattle in the muffler, the insides are not built to tight so they rattle but that is just that a rattle!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the response outofline!

You may be right about the chain. Just in the 2 days that my family has used it, the chain has loosened up considerably. And it could be slapping the swing arm. Is there anyway to tighten the chain?

I also was wondering if the chain slips a tooth or engages rough at certain times to cause the noice. When you hear the noice it causes you to raise an eyebrow and wonder if there is something seriously wrong.

Has yours always done this?

(Oh, by the way outofline, your posts have been a big help on my decision to order this quad. I'm very happy with it.... other than the noise [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!!

Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

Yes you can adjust the chain, there are two bolts on the rear axle and one on the rear brake that needs to be loosened then with a hammer you can tap that tab on the axle around (I believe down) to spin the axle around which tightens the chain. I had to remove the lower guard (4 Bolts) to get to the two nuts on the bolts (you will see what I'm talking about). They will take some wrenching from time to time but we have had fun on them! Be sure to oil your air filter and change the original crank case oil out! Also put slime in the tires, I have plugged several holes caused by nails before I slimmed!
You can see some Modifications on my web site that will help ya out! www.myjetmotos.8k.com

Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 AM
Trailblazer

Did you notice the sound go away when you tightened the chain?

Have you lubricated the chain, and if so, what do you use?

Old 10-01-2007, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ya when it tighter the slap is much less, I'm not an expert of lubes perhaps there are others on here that are or pretend they are. Just find a good chain lube and keep it lubed!

Old 10-01-2007, 02:42 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks outofline for the info. I'll be checking the chain tonight to see if it could possibly be hitting the swing arm.

This sound is sort of a bang or slap. It doesn't happen continuously, only here and there, but enough to take notice. If anyone else has another thought on what it could be I'd love to here it. (just in case it's not the chain versus the swing arm)

Thanks

Old 10-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Here are a couple of links to videos I took of a rear end problem in the newest batch of JM 150. It is a clanking, popping, pinging sound that start out coming from the rear. It did not start until I tightened the large axle nuts after they loosened up after a ride or two. The next ride out the problem started.

LM is aware of the problem. It turned out to be the spacer sleeve that goes on the axle between the two bearings in the rear end is too short causing the bearings to get crushed when you crank the axle nuts down.

If this is your problem, it's a quick and fast fix: new sleeve, bearing and seals.

bad bearing
bad bearing

Old 10-01-2007, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks!!

I'll have to look into this and see if it's a problem. I haven't tightened the axle nuts, has anyone had this problem without tightening these nuts?

Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

Here is the Jetmoto Chain Slap sounds: Chain Slap Video

Windtrader that videoegg site worked pretty slick!

Quick Reply: Jetmoto 150 making strange noise