ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Chinese Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/chinese-quads/)
-   -   Quad creeping at idle (https://atvconnection.com/forums/chinese-quads/313325-quad-creeping-idle.html)

0010 05-28-2009 11:13 PM

Quad creeping at idle

Hello, I have a problem I need a little help with.

My daughter was using my dad's quad to pull a lawn rake. BTW, Dad's bike is a Linhai/Manco Talon 2wd. When I went to put the quad in the garage, it seemed to be driving wierd (I don't ride this one very often, I ride mine...). When I stopped, and was getting ready to shut it off, I let go of the break and it started rolling forward. I stopped, pulled it into reverse and it started rolling backwards immediately when I let go of the brakes.

What do I need to look at? I believe the Talon is an old Polaris Sportsman frame with a Yamaha motor assembled in China.

I searched the forum and there seemed to be some issues where broken motor mounts could cause this...

So here is the rest of the story - while my daughter was pulling the lawn sweeper, she ran into the fence while she was turning. She wasn't going more than 5 mph, if that, but it did kind of bounce the bike back a bit. Could that have broken motor mount? What all should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

outofline 05-29-2009 04:01 AM

Is it an Auto, semi or full manual trans?

0010 05-29-2009 08:55 PM

Its an auto - CVT type. High, low, neutral and reverse.

Did some poking around on it this evening and I think I see the problem. The bushing in the lower motor mount on the left side is ate up and looks to be missing. I think this is allowing the motor to get out of alignment with the clutch. My scientific test (a flat screw driver to see where the gap started on the belt) showed that the belt started to move away from the outer sheave sooner than the inner one.

I started it up with the belt cover off and the belt spins even when the bike is stopped. Should it?

Thanks!

outofline 05-30-2009 07:10 PM

The belt will spin all the time, the clutch in the pulley's are driven by RPM, lower your idle should do it!

0010 05-30-2009 10:22 PM

Found the problem. The driven clutch assembly has a broken return spring mount. Where the spring attaches to the center hub is boken, allowing one of the 3 clutch shoes to contact the bell even at idle. This is what caused the creeping.

Thanks for the input.

Nick8995 01-15-2019 08:05 PM

Same problem

Originally Posted by 0010 (Post 2800874)
Found the problem. The driven clutch assembly has a broken return spring mount. Where the spring attaches to the center hub is boken, allowing one of the 3 clutch shoes to contact the bell even at idle. This is what caused the creeping.

Thanks for the input.

hello I am also having the same problem. Did you ever get this problem fixed? If so how did you fix it? Thanks!