Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Bogging Full Throttle Snorkeled 125cc TaoTao

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogging Full Throttle Snorkeled 125cc TaoTao

Hey guys,
Recently got a TaoTao 125cc ATV to play with.

I decided to snorkel it since the Airfilter on these things sits just over the motor it was no good near water.

After doing so it runs fine expect around 3/4 to full throttle it starts to bog out so bad it almost dies! It almost seems like it's very rich getting flooded with fuel, however I thought snorkels increase airflow so I would think it's should be running lean?

I ran 1 1/2 inch directly ABS pipe off the carb and up near my front right fender with the air filter on the end of the riser.

Just curious on your guys thoughts and what could be causing this?! I would love to get it running properly again with the snorkel on it!!

Old 04-23-2015, 09:38 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Usually on anything carbed you have to change the jet when adding a snorkel. Get a 1" reducer to stick in the end of the pipe and see if that helps. Got any pic's? i have a 110 that my little one loves to run through the puddles and been wanting to do the same

Old 04-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Zrock
Usually on anything carbed you have to change the jet when adding a snorkel. Get a 1" reducer to stick in the end of the pipe and see if that helps. Got any pic's? i have a 110 that my little one loves to run through the puddles and been wanting to do the same
I'm going to try that this weekend well first I plan on covering about half the snorkel intake or so with duct tape to see if that improves it any. If so I will then proceed to go ahead and add the 1inch reducer which will surely help. I also went ahead and ordered a number of jets in different sizes smaller and larger. The bike runs a 20mm carb so I'm thinking stock jet size is around 89 give or take.

I don't have any pictures atm however when I take it out this weeked to make the adjustments I'll snap some and upload them here for you to check out.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Would be sick tho, to have someone else working the same thing. We could kinda bounce ideas off each other for improvements. Who knows you may even come up with a better setup right out of the gate after seeing a general visual.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I feel that the snorkle is robbing air. We tried mud proofing a open filtered quad at the race track one year. It fell on it's face from lack of air.
Snorkels may increase air flow velocity but have less volume. Thus the top end problem.
Guess we'll see.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LT80
I feel that the snorkle is robbing air. We tried mud proofing a open filtered quad at the race track one year. It fell on it's face from lack of air.
Snorkels may increase air flow velocity but have less volume. Thus the top end problem.
Guess we'll see.
Everything that i have read about adding a snorkel to any carbed machine is it gives it to much air causing it to run lean and have always had to re jet or restrict the opening. Most of them say they they noticed a slight performance increase after the snorkel and jet

Old 04-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LT80
Guess we'll see.
I've heard that as well and also what Zrock said about it being to lean. Both ideas seem to have a very valid point, I could see going either way really depending on how the bike was already setup before the snorkel being added.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Like I stated above I will be trying the duct tape this test this weekend to find out for sure. If in fact lean I will go ahead and add the reducer until my jets arrive. However if it is rich will adding a Y splitter and running another riser up threw the plastics for more for more air work?

Old 04-28-2015, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Alright so I figured it out..it was running a whole lot lean. I ended up covering about 3/4 of the snorkel with duct tape before it started to run good again.
I will just be running it like that until my new jets arrive.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here are some pictures! There kind of big, just click on them for a better view.

Quick Reply: Bogging Full Throttle Snorkeled 125cc TaoTao