ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Chinese Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/chinese-quads/)
-   -   Tao Tao 125D clutch issues (https://atvconnection.com/forums/chinese-quads/365852-tao-tao-125d-clutch-issues.html)

ew15841 11-01-2015 02:31 PM

Tao Tao 125D clutch issues

Help needed please. My son's 125 D is having, what I think from reading on this site, clutch problems. I followed the steps to adjust it by loosening the nut on the side and turning the screw to the left to loosen then back to the right to tighten, then retighten the nut. It made it better for about 5 minutes then back to doing the same thing. It has no low end power, but once it gets going its ok unless my son gets to a big hill. This is a recent problem, the wheeler is about 2 years old and has been fine up until now. Is there a way to make that adjustment last longer? Have I done something wrong? Or does it need a new clutch? Thanks in advance for any help.

whygostockcom 11-03-2015 02:01 PM

You need to change your sprockets. This is a very common issue. You need to go with a smaller front sprocket and larger rear sprocket. You will loose some of your top end, but it will make a world of difference off the line or climbing a hill.
Visit Whygostock for more info.
We also have stronger clutches as well.

MPDano 11-04-2015 06:19 AM

On CVT's, it can be a lot of things. Clutch slipping due to dirty or oil on clutch pads. Rollers are too heavy, lighter ones will engage latter and at a higher rpm. Incorrect carb jetting. Blocked exhaust. Too me, from what your saying it was fine before, sprockets should be fine. Do all your maintenance stuff and I bet it will spring back to life.

ew15841 11-04-2015 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by MPDano (Post 3305812)
On CVT's, it can be a lot of things. Clutch slipping due to dirty or oil on clutch pads. Rollers are too heavy, lighter ones will engage latter and at a higher rpm. Incorrect carb jetting. Blocked exhaust. Too me, from what your saying it was fine before, sprockets should be fine. Do all your maintenance stuff and I bet it will spring back to life.

Thanks for the responses. Dano how would I go about doing some of the things you have mentioned? I can change the oil but after that I'm lost. What would be the most likely cause of it working fine for a couple years, then again after I adjusted the clutch but only for a short time?

MPDano 11-04-2015 10:39 AM

Here is how a cvt works. Pull the cover and see if yours is operating correctly.

ew15841 12-09-2015 10:26 AM

[QUOTE=MPDano;3305843]Here is how a cvt works. Pull the cover and see if yours is operating correctly.

Bad clutch, I replaced it and its working great. I appreciate the help.

MPDano 12-09-2015 07:20 PM

[QUOTE=ew15841;3309116]

Originally Posted by MPDano (Post 3305843)
Here is how a cvt works. Pull the cover and see if yours is operating correctly.

Bad clutch, I replaced it and its working great. I appreciate the help.

Excellent. Thanks for finishing out your post.