Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

How many lubricants

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many lubricants

How many lubricants does my bike have? It's a 2016 150cc chinese quad with a Honda cy6 clone engine. It came with absolutely zero paperwork/manual/break in information.
It had oil in it from the factory so I used that oil for the first break in ride, let it cool then proceeded to change the oil to a trusted brand and recommend weight. Now remember, I have no manual so I reached under the unit (from the left side sitting on the bike kinda in the center, even with the rear tire) backed out a bolt thinking it was the drain plug. Well, a very small amount of oil came out and stopped. I was thinking it should be more, so I reinstalled the bolt and started searching for another plug. I found one on the right side just forward of the oil filler cap. When I unscrewed that one, a spring and a wire screen fell out and a lot more oil.
. So my question is, what came out of the first bolt hole? Was that engine oil? So the engine oil can be drained from two separate locations? Or did I drain something else?
. Thank you in advance for your help

Last edited by Groovedawg; 01-04-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Add details
Old 01-05-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

can't remember what the spring does but that not the drain hole. You probably had the right hole the first time. These things only hold about 1/2-3/4 of a ltr of oil. The oil that it came shipped with should have been drained before you ran it. Its usually a mineral oil for shipping.. You should search online for a manual or contact seller and ask for one.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I searched the Internet like crazy and found nothing about the oil that comes out of this plug. I want to replace the oil i let out but with what? I'm not talking about motor oil, I emptied the motor oil for sure and I know where to refill the motor oil. But before I removed the motor oil I pulled out a different plug and some oil came out of the drain.
the plug in first pulled by mistake is further back on the direct bottom of the motor. It might be so far back that it's actually the transmission. If that's the case, maybe I let out gear oil by mistake. That's what I need to know. I included a picture, maybe that'll help sort things out.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I think the screen and spring are the drain plug. Was like that on one of my old bikes.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you look at the top right of the picture, you can see the chain. I pulled out the plug nearest to the back (towards the top of pic). And some kinda oil came out, my question is what type of oil was it? I just want to replace that oil. In the picture the plug on the far right near the bottom of the picture (the front of the bike) you'll see the motor oil plug which contains the spring and screen.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Did some checking, still doing some more.

The crankcase drain plug is the 17mm one on the opposite side of the screen/spring plug. Circled in yellow. You can drain from the other, but it's more for checking to see if there's anything in the crankcase besides oil.

The red is one you got just a bit of fluid from, correct?

Old 01-05-2017, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

No I didn't touch that plug. You see the two bright silver bolts directly in the center of the picture? I pulled the one closest to the top of the picture.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

*disregard you wrote spring I read screen*
Groovedawg I believe we have the same engine, I read somewhere that the plug with the screen is a filter to catch metal shavings in the engine. and is oil but the true drain plug is a 17mm and is on the opposite side of the engine, and on mine it is horizontal not underneath. It actually drained oil on the foot guard frame. At least on mine, I think it is a bad design, maybe not the best setup for this ATV

Old 01-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Looks like that was the drain for the transmission.

Better pictures.

Old 01-05-2017, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I believe it was gear oil that I drained by mistake, but probably a good thing though because factory oil i understand is crap. Any idea where to refill it?