Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Tao Tao Won't Charge

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao Won't Charge

Apologies to the frequent fliers who may recognize my issue from a previous post elsewhere in this forum. I want to restart my inquiry here in a new post, with a more representative subject line, in hopes of getting fresh eyes on my question.

I have a 110cc Tao Tao. While running, the system voltage never goes over 12.8VDC. I'm expecting it to be somewhere between 13 and 14 volts though. This has ruined a few batteries. I now have another brand new battery installed, fully charged. I have replaced the stator but the system voltage remains around 12.8, with either the old or new stator. I have replaced the voltage regulator, but again the system voltage remains low with either the old or new regulator. While running, I disconnected the battery and find the system voltage is approximately 4VDC. I don't know what else could be causing the issue. Could the stator and/or flywheel magnets need adjusted? If so, I'm unsure how, since they don't look adjustable, after a quick glance at them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-27-2018, 10:01 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

whats teh voltage when you rev the machine up. Those little machines barley have enough at idle. This is why the lights get brighter as you rev it up

Old 05-27-2018, 04:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Zrock
whats teh voltage when you rev the machine up. Those little machines barley have enough at idle. This is why the lights get brighter as you rev it up
When revving, it's about 12.8VDC. At idle, it drops to about 12.6 or 12.7.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol

the stator is not adjustable. Like i said these things barley put out enough voltage to keep things topped up especially if you ride with lights on. I keep our little one on a maintainer during the winter and top up charge every few weeks during the summer or more depending on the riding. The voltage seems right for a small import machine but not 100% sure. I know they wont charge at the same voltage as a full size machine.

Old 05-28-2018, 10:36 AM
Trailblazer

the stator is not adjustable. Like i said these things barley put out enough voltage to keep things topped up especially if you ride with lights on. I keep our little one on a maintainer during the winter and top up charge every few weeks during the summer or more depending on the riding. The voltage seems right for a small import machine but not 100% sure. I know they wont charge at the same voltage as a full size machine.
<shaking my head in disbelief> I heard similar sentiments from another source and fear that it's merely the nature of the beast, and I'll have to live with it. That stinks. When voltage is slightly low, it cranks hard, and that inevitably destroys the battery.

I will just have to be more watchful of the battery and keep it maintained well.

Thanks for the input.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:32 AM
Super Quad Patrol

Jst a FYI but on the little machines i have found the best battery for them of all places is from walmart. 3 years later and its still going strong. All the ones i have bought from dealers have all failed within a year

Old 05-29-2018, 09:55 AM
Trailblazer

Jst a FYI but on the little machines i have found the best battery for them of all places is from walmart. 3 years later and its still going strong. All the ones i have bought from dealers have all failed within a year
In an older thread I started HERE, it was noted that Interstate and Yuasa are good. Having had good luck before with Interstate in the past, my latest purchase for the Chinese quad was also Interstate. Oddly enough, in tiny print on the Interstate sticker, it says "Manufactured by Yuasa." So I hope I'm good to go this time, with a longer lasting battery.