Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Carb Needle Broken?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Needle Broken?

Needle

Similar Carb off amazon
Team,
I have a Red Cat 110. It sat for about 8 years. My brother got it new 8 years ago. They got it running a few times, then it refused to start so they benched it (strange I know).
I decided to would make it live again. I took the carb off and took it to a guy who cleaned it for me. (I didn't realize new ones were $20 or else I would have done that).
I changed the oil with proper Honda ATV oil. Put in a fresh new charged battery. Put oil in the plug hole, turned it over by hand a few times. The starter would turn it over slowly with the plug out. With the plug in, it would try to spin a few times then the starter got stupid hot, wires got hot. Now basically I can get a half crank and it gives up.
So I ordered a new starter. Ordered a new master cylinder because I bled the brake with a vacuum bleeder and still have no pressure.

Now onto my topic at hand. I can easily push start this thing. No problem. Put in first gear, turn the wheel over by hand, boom, I have an idling ATV.
For awhile it did not want to run very long, would get hot and struggle. The more I run it, the better it runs. I do not think it was ever really broke in a few years ago.
Well the other day I was messing with the carb and thought something looked odd.
This carb is the stock redcat, but looks very similar to one I'm going to steal a photo from amazon. The screw does not come to a point. Is part of this screw broke off in the carb?

Old 09-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

The reason I'm asking is because. If I do not turn the screw fully clockwise, it just seems loose and rattles around.
I'm guessing this is the idle mixture screw and I would think it would not run fully closed off, but it does.
thoughts?

Old 09-14-2018, 02:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I understand the idle screw has an external screw. I have been looking at some rebuild kits and it seems there is another spring.
Is there a spring internal to the carb for the idle air mixture? Maybe that is why it turns so freely?
I think I read base line is fully closed, turned out 2 turns. If I do this, mine just dances around at idle.

I know how to work my four barrel in my Chevelle (well at least I try my best).
Those are held in place with a spring like the idle spring is on these carbs.

Old 09-14-2018, 03:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just realized in my head this is an air adjustment, so all the way in is max fuel, so it would run, just likely too rich.
Regardless, is there a spring internally to keep the screw from dancing around?

Old 09-17-2018, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I seem to be having a great conversation with myself.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

To be honest, I don't work on small stuff much, but everything on your engine seems to be a Honda copy, so Googled the parts drawing for the Honda 90 Quad https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...3dd/carburetor and it does look to have a spring, washer, and O ring on the idle mixture screw. Drawing does show a blunt nosed screw, but I think that will be the drain screw for the float bowl.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by merryman
To be honest, I don't work on small stuff much, but everything on your engine seems to be a Honda copy, so Googled the parts drawing for the Honda 90 Quad https://www.hondapartshouse.com/oemp...3dd/carburetor and it does look to have a spring, washer, and O ring on the idle mixture screw. Drawing does show a blunt nosed screw, but I think that will be the drain screw for the float bowl.
Yup, looks like a copy of item #5. Good call.