ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Chinese Quads (https://atvconnection.com/forums/chinese-quads/)
-   -   Eton DXL 90 issues (https://atvconnection.com/forums/chinese-quads/377601-eton-dxl-90-issues.html)

addysdady 12-02-2018 01:37 PM

Eton DXL 90 issues

Good day all!

First time posting though I have been lurking the past few weeks.

I just acquired an older Eton DXL 90 as our family's first quad. The plan is to get it running and cleaned up for Christmas morning so I only have a few weeks to get this project completed. After looking at some newer vehicles, I figured the $200 that I paid for it was worth the risk though it was non-running when we picked it up.

This morning, I replaced the carb and was able to get it started by jumping the battery. (New battery on order.) The quad runs for about 5 minutes at idle and then stalls. Also it smokes a lot while running. It seems like it's not getting enough fuel. I am sure that I could be more precise with my carb adjustments but I am not sure if that explains the smoke. The air filter has been removed as a new one has also been ordered.

I am hoping that someone has some experience with the DXL 90 and can give me some ideas as to what to troubleshoot. I prefer not to remove the oil pump.

Your thoughts and guidance are greatly appreciated.

addysdady 12-02-2018 09:13 PM

Well, I blew out and adjusted the gas lines and it seems to be running strong. When I replaced the line I added length which seemed to prevent gas from flowing properly. It now runs much stronger. I even took a ride around the block.

My problem is that the thing still smokes like a chimney. My wife came down to tell me to turn it off as she could smell it in the house. I probably should have shut the garage door. Does anyone know if the oil pump can be adjusted? I did not add any oil so whats is there is about 2 years old. Not sure if that's my problem.

Again, any advice is appreciated.

merryman 12-03-2018 02:57 AM

Over oiling is far better than under oiling for the life of your engine. If it is the usual 90cc Minarelli engine, they normally have a second throttle cable which controls the amount of oil pumped. it is worth checking if that second cable mechanism is working properly. Also some oil may have run down into the sump over time, so it could just be burning it off.

LT80 12-04-2018 09:18 AM

There is a screen in the end of the exhaust. Try cleaning that. :)

LT80 12-04-2018 09:19 AM

FYI: you have yourself a fine Tiawanese machine. Not china junk. :D

addysdady 12-05-2018 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by LT80 (Post 3408567)
FYI: you have yourself a fine Tiawanese machine. Not china junk. :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence. When I brought it home, my wife asked me what I had done. We had been looking at new quads the day prior but I couldn't see spending thousands of dollars for something that the kids will learn on. After I cleaned it up a little she came around. It's actually a cool little machine. I'll keep the thread updated with my restoration progress. The goal is to have it look and operate as new as possible by Christmas.

2004pred 12-05-2018 01:05 PM

Smoke is not an issue at all. Dumb question but you didn't put premix gas in it right? That will over oil it but still aside from a little smoke and small loss in power wont hurt anything. Older 2 strokes will smoke quite a bit.

addysdady 12-05-2018 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2004pred (Post 3408675)
Smoke is not an issue at all. Dumb question but you didn't put premix gas in it right? That will over oil it but still aside from a little smoke and small loss in power wont hurt anything. Older 2 strokes will smoke quite a bit.

I put regular gas in the tank, not premix. The oil in the tank is old. I plan to drain and replace with a high quality synthetic. Perhaps this will reduce the smoke. I am not so worried about the mechanics of the engine but more so of the neighbors thinking that the house is on fire. :) There is a lot of smoke. I should get back out there tomorrow evening. The new battery and air filter should arrive by then.

Zrock 12-07-2018 09:14 AM

No real point putting synth in for oil injection... I would flush the old oil out and replace and adjust and should be good..

addysdady 12-09-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by LT80 (Post 3408566)
There is a screen in the end of the exhaust. Try cleaning that. :)

I have not found a screen at the end of the exhaust. There was a bolt on the bottom near the end. I removed it but didn't see anything attached. Am I missing something?