Club News and Events Share information about ATV clubs, club activities and membership, ATV events, etc.

When snowmobile clubs and ATV clubs cooperate

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts
Default When snowmobile clubs and ATV clubs cooperate

Hello all, I just wanted to put a few thoughts together about cooperation and what it can accomplish. We ride our quads in Claremont, NH and are members of the Sullivan County ATV Club. We had an opportunity last Sunday, the 23rd, to help the Shugah Valley Snowmobile Club build two new bridges. I'll post the pictures on my personal page so you can see what we did together. Both snowmobiles and ATVs use these trails. Not always with peaceful thoughts about one another. The more we cooperate and fix damaged trails together, the less likely it will be to have snowmobilers asking a landowner to close down the trails through his property to ATVers. Just a thought.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that the quad people and the snowmobile people don't like each other?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The main rub in our area (New England) is that quads tend to rut up the trails. It is true that if it has been a wet year that ruts form in trails. But when it is dry there isn't too much of a problem. Out our way we are travelling on private property where we, as a club, have asked permission to maintain trails through peoples properties. It is the same for the snowmobilers. Two trails were closed in our area due to, "property owners request". The two trails went through one homeowners land and he mentioned "ruts" to our group as a reason. The snowmobilers had spoken to him about closing the trails. I purposely went with a good number of ATVers from our group to show we didn't have any hard feelings and that if we pitched in together a lot more could get done. I am a carpenter and was able, between my tools and nowhow, to move things along a little faster. I want to see both groups working together but know that there are some from both groups who act like idiots and ruin it for everybody. Just my .02 worth.