Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Mudlites or Atr's

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Na
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mudlites or Atr's

I CURRENTLY OWN A 2003 RINCON AND LOVE IT. I MOSTLY TRAIL RIDE, HILLS, AND ROCKS. VERY LITTLE MUD. CURRENTLY I HAVE 25IN GOODYEAR RAWHIDES AND WANT TO STAY WITH 25INCH BECAUSE IT WILL KEEP ME CLOSER TO THE GROUND AND LESS LIKELY TO TIP. I WANT NEW TIRES BECAUSE MINE ARE GEARED TOWARDS MUD. WHICH ONES SHOULD I GO WITH, MUDLITES OR ATR'S. REMEMBER I MOSTLY TRAIL RIDE, ON HILLS, WITH ROCKS, VERY LITTLE MUD. THANKS

Old 10-09-2003, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

I would go with the ATR's for trail riding.The more tread that makes contact with the ground gives better performance and ride.If you were into mud then Id say the Lites.Should get alot better wear out of the ATR's as well. Also ,welcome to the board.Scott

Old 10-09-2003, 10:05 AM
Na
Weekend Warrior

THANKS FOR THE REPLY. I THINK I AM GOING WITH THE ATR'S

Old 10-11-2003, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

I think for you, the ATR's would be great! THey look like pretty badass tires!

Old 10-11-2003, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

A buddy of mine bought a set of ATR's and had some Flat issues with them... After trial and error, he found that running them with a bit more pressure - no less than 5.5 psi helped.

Good Luck.

Old 10-27-2003, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

i have the atr's and i just got some bighorns,look into the horns..good all around trail tire...the atr's are good but they do seem to have alot of issues starting to appear,flats,punctures and weird cuts appearing between the tread blocks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]but they do handle great and have good traction if you stay out of the mud..

Old 10-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Guz
Trailblazer

Bullett- did you see a difference in performance between the atr's vs. bighorns? the Maxxis tire is heavier and I was wondering if that has hurt you. I can't decide between the two- I have a set of 27" 589 so I was leaning towards the atr's because of the weight (didn't want two sets of heavy tires). The bighorn is a mean looking tire. Since you have owned both, (in your opinion) what is a better all around tire? Guz

Old 10-28-2003, 06:37 AM
Trailblazer

really did not see that much of a difference.the horns have great traction on rocks and wet surfaces and are better in the mud,the atr's really add to the rincons sporty handling but the horns are just as good in most situations i have put them in.the horns do have a deeper tread and do not weigh much more maybe 1-2 lbs per tire,if you hold one in each hand it is hard to tell which one is more..

Old 10-28-2003, 07:33 AM
Guz
Trailblazer

thanks- I've heard some good things about the bighorns, as well as, the atr's. i have a p700 and don't think either tire would make that much of a difference when compared against one another. I did hear the bighorn's aren't very good in the snow though? Not as much of a concern to you down there, but up in PA it is. I would think the radial tire and the tread design of the bighorn looks like it would work pretty good. I know the magazines said the atr's hooked up well.

Old 10-28-2003, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

This was a question I had and it's already up here. Okay, I own a 2004 Kawasaki Praire 360 4X4 with stock 25" Dunlops. What I was thinking was moving up to 27" ITP C series aluminum wheels... Well maybe. Thats another question. Assuming I do, the conditions I ride on are rocky trails through the upstate New York. Not much mud, but streams, rocky, primative trails on our property. Lots of climbing. I initially thought of ATRs, but my dealer in PA. cautioned against it. He recommended Mud Lites. Firstly would you guys stay with the 25", which I'm okay with doing or go with the increased clearance of 27"? Dealer said I'd lose power by going a bit bigger, but realistically, would it be that noticable? And would the ATRs handle rougher trails? I like the idea of having more rubber contact, but reading about the Mud Lites, they seem to be perfect for those conditions. Anyone have any experience with those?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Mudlites or Atr's