Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

DIFFERENTIAL SECRETS REVEALED!!!! AT LAST!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didja ever wonder, how does the Traxter torque-sensing differential work? What you always wanted to know about the Torsen-Gleason differential, but were afraid to ask!

This scheme appears to be a workable way to bias reliably a portion of the torque from a spinning wheel to one with traction. Unlike other limited-slip designs, the Torsen-Gleason is not vulnerable to clutch wear; also, as the reference explains, the bias is applied progressively, not constant, as with functioning clutch-type limited-slip differentials. Read all about it!

(Oh, yes: There WILL be a quiz!)

Tree Farmer

P.S. Fun fact of the day: We all know the "Gleason" in Torsen-Gleason comes from the Gleason Corporation of Rochester, NY; where does "Torsen" come from? An inventor, Mr. Torsen, from a proud Scandanavian family? No! Torsen is a combination of the first three letters of two words, TORque, and SENsing. Get it? Torque sensing. Now, who says we never learn anything from the ATV Connection Forum!

T.F.

Old 09-11-2000, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems Mr. Wizzard is up on his homework this week! Heh Heh Heh. Very good article, thanks for posting the link. As for the quiz, uh, could I get a little more time to re-read? My short-term memory seems to be running in overdrive right now, as I've got a statistics paper to write. Uugh!

Take care,

Mike

Old 09-12-2000, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Outstanding article, thanks for the info! You better give me a week or so before the quiz. Need to brush up on my math skills.

Old 09-13-2000, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well done Tree Farmer. Gleason's Torsen differential has been available for 4x4 pickups for at least 15 years and are regularly advertised in 4x4 magazines. For anyone interested.
I'd love to get ahold of one of these for my pickup. They are safe for front and rear applications.