Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

What tires should I buy.....Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1999, 07:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 99' Yamaha Warrior and have come to the realization that the stock tires suck after 3 flats in a minimal amount of time. I recently punctured the sidewall and it's about time I do something about it.

I am not really up to speed with what tire to go with or even if I should buy a tire/rim combo. My rims seem to be ok...but who knows. Anyways, I need your opinions/help with what and specifically where to buy. I ride mostly in Shamokin, Pa, there are alot of colm piles(think I spelled that right ?) some woods riding and alot of rocky trails. My friends all have 4 or 6 ply low profile tires and they seem to do ok for them but once again, what brand? size? place to buy, etc.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Craig

99' Warrior

Old 11-18-1999, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer

I recently bought a set of bandits and love them. They have a ton of pull and dig like mad. The fronts will climb out of a rut easily, this can be good and bad. I havnt had a problem with wandering at speed but they do transmit more vibrations than others. The XC is kevlar belted bead to bead for puncture resistance. I have the AT's and I hav'nt even been able to scratch or nick them. I got mine from rocky mountain off road, this was the cheapest place I could find at the time. Well I hope this helps you, there are a lot of good tires out there these work good for me so good luck.

Old 11-19-1999, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

I also run Bandit AT rear tires..Holeshots up front..The rears are very strong..I have yet to puncture them and I spend some time on rough trails and rocks. Remember that if you change the size of a tire compared to stock...that you are respectively changing the gearing at the same time...I would stay as close to the stock size that is on your bike now as you can...(I don't rememeber the stock warrior size) A taller tire might Show minor top end differences...while a smaller tire might yield a small acceleration gain on the low end, but sacrifice some top end.

Old 11-19-1999, 12:50 PM
Range Rover

Craig,

This is what I suggest, Get the Pure Sport Bandits for the front 22x7x10 XC $49.99 a piece and for the back I would get the 22x12.5x10 Blackwaters $59.95 a piece. Make sure it is the same rim size. These tires are pretty much puncture proof and they look good and kickazz. If the rims look in good shape I would not bother replacing them. Rocky Mountain ATV has them as cheap as anybody 1(800)336-5437. I've ordered 3 sets from them in the past and they are good to do business with.

I hope this helps,

Steve

Old 11-19-1999, 08:16 PM
Range Rover

Note: There is a warning on my front Bandit A/T's that says they are to be used only on beadlock rims. I have had no problems with mine using stock honda rims though.

Old 11-23-1999, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

You may want to check other strings out there. I have suggested the Blackwaters in the past because I had a pair on my 87 Warrior and I loved them. A Lot of riders, especially Warrior riders, are suggesting to use the Kenda Bear Claws. I haven't decided which tire to go with but I am leaning toward the Bear Claws. My experience with the Blackwaters was nothing less than great however I have been that road and looking for something new. The Bear Claws appear to be very aggressive and moderately priced $55/ea. I as well have a 99 Warrior and have only experience 1 flat (the 2nd time out) and I have 3 gashes in the front tires. These factory Dunlops are junk. Good luck and look around some of the other strings.

Brian
'99 Grey/Yellow Warrior

Old 12-13-1999, 03:44 AM
Trailblazer

Go check out the Maxxis tires - All Track - or all terrain... A buddy down the street just got those for his 98 Warrior -and they are sweet!!!
I believe they are 22".. and not very expensive.
Its by the same company that makes the RaZr tires you see in DirtWheels magazine.
Check those out - I was thinking about putting those on my Honda - but I may go for the XTC Holeshot tires - I like those too.

Check them both out -

Old 12-13-1999, 09:56 AM
Trailblazer

Another option open to you is to get a set of the new Bandit AT/XC's in the new 22" size for the rear, then you wouldn't run into as big a problem with smaller tires lowering the gear ratio. I worked a deal with Pure Sports and got them to drop-ship me a set of the new AT's in 22x10x9--I already got the fronts but am still waiting for the rears. Remember though, just about any 22" tire will be less tall than the stock Dunlops.

Old 12-13-1999, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re the post by Eric Zeh... the label on the Bandit tire concerning bead locks. What they're saying is that if you use extra low pressure you should use bead locks to hold the tire on the rim.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 12-13-1999).]

Old 12-13-1999, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

If you will ride pretty slick or muddy conditions, I would get the Bearclaw, stock sizes. If your tires now have almost enough traction in most of your riding areas, try Holeshot XCT, stock size. You will get more traction, and better handling.