Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire Changer and Bead Breaker

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Changer and Bead Breaker

Originally posted by: Curls
I was looking for a tool to change my own Atv tires and was getting ready to drop close to 500.00 when I stumbled across a Harbor Freight deal. They are selling a tire changer for 39.99 and 10.00 shipping. This thing actually works and is easy to use. Harbor freight is marketing it as portable, but unless it's welded or laged into something solid it's hard to use. I had a couple of atv tires and rims, and another one off my trailer laying around. After I bolted the changer into my garage floor I went to work. It takes less then 10 minutes to break down a tire and remount it. Having tried this before i was skeptical but i figured for 40 bucks it was worth a try. It worked so well I bought the optional motorcycle tire atachment for another 40.00. I have not tried it yet.

Whitch one of the tire changers did you buy was it the mini one or the one they call the portable one, the portable one is bigger?

Old 01-09-2006, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

haha, u guys are lucky when i changed the tires on my rancher, it took a hydraulic machine and a 3 foot bar to break my tires free. no jumping up and down going to work on a ut rim

Old 01-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Quad Patrol

I tried the HF tire changer and had no luck whatsoever[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
I ended up with a flat on a recent ride, on the way back to the truck, the bead popped from the wheel. Went to NAPA and order a set of 16" tire irons. Haven't used them, but they are meatier than the HF ones that I had. Haven't had a chance to try them yet. When I do, I'll post how they did.

Old 01-11-2006, 12:36 AM
Range Rover

This one works great. Set it up and drive up on one of the feet with your car/truck to hold it in place. I would not use it on fine 14" aluminum, but for everyday wheels it's great. ( from the department of redundancy department)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34542

Old 05-16-2008, 04:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: JustShutUpAndRide
All you have to do is let out all of the air and then jump on the tire (one foot landing on each side of the rim). I am a big guy so it worked for me, but it might not work for a little guy such as yourself. </end quote></div>

Name:  lmao3.gif
Views: 32
Size:  32.0 KB

Too Funny!

You must be a REALLY BIG guy! I've changed about a dozen atv tires so far and I haven't seen one bead yet that wouldn't support the FULL weight of a car without budging. I've been using a 12 ton hydraulic jack and a press to break the beads.

Back when I bought my first set of tires I wish I would have gotten the proper equipment to change them, but I had no idea I'd be doing so many. Now I have 4 more to change and was surfing around when this thread popped up on google. I just had to reply. Name:  lool.gif
Views: 33
Size:  8.9 KB

Btw, I still can't find anything for less than $500 that looks like it would work worth a hoot. Oh well,,,, I guess back to the jack n screwdrivers. Name:  boozer.gif
Views: 33
Size:  5.3 KB

Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Tire Changer and Bead Breaker"></title><script src=

Hi: I just bought some tires for my sons 350 Raptor. I planned on changing them this Sat at my home. Do you guys think I will have a problem, or should it go fairly easily. Have all kinds of mallats, tools, and air compressor to get the sucker to bead. Thanks for any advice. Mountain Joe.