Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

New ITP Trac Star Radials.......Rider Review

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 07:22 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New ITP Trac Star Radials.......Rider Review

http://www.itptires.com/newproducts.html

Got a set today, 22" fronts and 20" rears. Mounted them on a set of ITP "Edge" rims (an older design ITP rim with a rolled edge like an OEM rim), 9X9" rear with a 3+6" offset, and 10X5" front with a 3+2" offset. These rims are nice because they widen the quad 2-3" front and back (compared to stock rims), for a more stable ride.

My goal was to perk up the handling of my kids 250EX's. The EX shows its utility heritage (developed from the Recon) in the suspension department! The current ITP Holeshot XC tires that we are running, have kind of a "dead" feel to them, and it is accentuated because the tires are just plain hard. So, I figured a pair of radials would perk things up some. But, OEM radials wouldn't last one ride out here in the desert. The Trac Stars are 6 ply, so I'm figuring they should hold up very well (????).

For a first test, I mounted them on the 400EX (Works suspension), seeing it is the quad I have ridden the most lately. (It's my summer trail riding quad for the mountains when it is to hot to ride desert, and my daughter's desert quad in the cool months.) The current tires on the 400EX are Holeshot XC's, mounted on ITP Baja rims.

My first impression was that these tires are LIGHT and SHORT!. Both the fronts and rears are at least 1-2" shorter than the XC's, giving the quad more of a low track stance than a taller cross-country stance. In corners (hard to softpack fireroads, and some wooped out trails), the fronts kept planted fairly well, but the backs break free and slide sideways way to easily for my taste. That is one complaint I have against OEM radials, and very different from the iRazrs that I am running on the Z400 and 450R.

With the iRazrs the front is planted very solid, and the back only breaks free when you work it. Actually, I was able to adapt to the sliding back end pretty quickly. Once I knew what it was going to do, I could anticipate and set up in the corners differently. Still, I could imagine myself "looping out" under hard acceleration coming out of a turn, if I wasn't paying close attention.

The ride was WAY SMOOTHE! You could tell right away that the tires were contributing a lot to the suspension (something the XC's don't do at all). This is something I am hoping will help the ride on the 250. And, there was absolutely no bump steer. Straight-ahead traction was good, on some real nasty hillclimbs. All in all, I like the tires pretty well, but on the 400EX I think I would have to run 23" fronts and 22" rears, for more ground clearance.

I mounted the tires on the 250EX, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet. It lowers the 250 some, but the little 250 sits a bit high anyway (again, that utility heritage), so lowering it might contribute something to increased stability (always a good thing on a kids quad). I'll ride the 250 this weekend, and let you know how it goes!

Old 06-03-2006, 09:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think thats the case with most radial tires. My 650V2 came with radial MTR tires, and the ride was unbelievably smooth, but the rear was light on turns. I bought Swamplite tires and it grabs real well, no sliding on corners, but a night and day difference for the smooth ride quality!

Old 06-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Red Rider

Tried them on the 250EX, and didn't like them much. The ride was cushier (which the 250 really needs!), but the little EX does not like the short front tires. It makes handling a bit squirly, and there is a tremendous amount of feedback (headshaking/bump steer) from the ground.

I'll just put them back on the 400EX, and use them for mountain trail riding this summer. They will be worn out by the end of the summer anyway, and I'll go back to the Holeshots or iRazrs. I don't think these will make a great desert tire at all.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:34 AM
Red Rider

I TAKE IT ALL BACK!

I realize now that I had the tires seriously over inflated when I tested them before. That, and it was a hot day (like 100 degrees), so that made it even worse.

I rode the 250 tonight in the cool evening, with 4 psi front and back, and THE TIRES ARE SUPERB! No headshake, and cornering is excellent. The back doesn't break free like on the 400EX, probably because the little 250 isn't as powerful. The cush of the radials helps the harsh suspension quite a bit. I'm going to order another pair for the other 250, tomorrow!

Old 06-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am considering this tire for my 660 Raptor. I mostly ride fire breaks, logging roads, a little hill climbing, and some rocky trails everything ranging from loose to hard packed. I do open the bike up some, but not a stupid amount.

Just wondering if the 400EX got a little loose around turns and on a trail or on a pretty straight section?

Should I expect a tire that will perform the same, worse or better than stock tires?

Old 06-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Red Rider

These give the same comfy/cush ride that stock radials are famous for on the high end quads. But, they are superior, if for no other reason than they are 6 ply, and are going to hold up better!

I ride desert, and I think I am going to stick with iRazrs on my larger, higher horsepower quads. In my conditions, the ITP's didn't seem to have quite enough traction to handle the power of the bigger machines. This results in the back breaking free to often when you hit the power coming out of a corner. They are superb however, on the smaller less powerful 250's! The 400EX is borderline. When the current tires on it (Holeshot XC's) are worn out, I may try the ITP's, but I will probably go with the 23" fronts, and 22" rears, to keep higher ground clearance (these tires run short).

I would imagine that they would be a good tire for eastern trail conditions, but that is just a guess (????).

Old 06-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Red Rider

Got to point out that these tires offer very little in terms of RIM PROTECTION! A lot of tires have a bead to protect the rim, but these leave your rim hanging out there and very vulnerable. My 250's get riden by kids and beginner adults, who can thrash a rim in a very short time!

Old 06-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

reconranger, thanks for the update! Looks like the Trac Stars may be a god send for any one wanting better performing tires on some of the smaller sport quads at a good price. Didn't you have some GNCC's too? How are those holding up?

Old 06-20-2006, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

On my dad's 350 Raptor they may be a good choice. My 660 may be to much. Guess I'll keep looking.