Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

auto and manual tranny questions..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto and manual tranny questions..

Ok I was wondering a few things

1:my friend has a polaris 05 (i believe 600, but it might be 500) and its auto, I have driven it, and am pretty sure its only 1 gear, besides low and high option, what I mean is here is no shifting to be done, either by you OR the tranny because it only has a single gear to run through, unlike a 5 speed tranny

2:If 1 is true is a 5 speed tranny capable of either/or being faster than a auto tranny, or being able to reach a higher top speed than an auto?

any insight would be Great! thank you

Old 07-12-2006, 12:41 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has a CVT belt transmission. If you search online, I think you will come up with a description of how it works.

One thing to note is that utility cvt automatic transmissions always seem to need a low case (transfer case), because they can't seem to get that low end grunt any other way. With a manual, all you need to do is put on a really low first gear. This means one less extra system in the drivetrain, for the manual.

Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.insightcentral.net/encyclopedia/encvt.html

See the diagram of the pulleys. (An ATV trans is much less complex than on this car!)

Old 07-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

2:If 1 is true is a 5 speed tranny capable of either/or being faster than a auto tranny, or being able to reach a higher top speed than an auto?
I'd say no to top speed, unless you can pick your own 5th gear and final drive ratio. A CVT, if it isn't at the limit of its shift ratios, will shift to the point that offers a maximum top speed (for the conditions) better than the pre-determined ratios of the 5 speed. There may be exceptions, but as a rule no to the 5 speed (particularly where Honda is concerned). Top speed depends on matching engine efficiency to the 5 speed's ratio (gear and differentials) in 5th. CVT does it for you.

A properly working and tuned CVT will always be in the right "gear" when you stab the gas. 5 speed requires picking the right ratio, sometimes you are in between ratios. You start changing tire height and you have practically no chance to correct any possible undesirable affect of the tires (except I see they have a ring and pinion set for the Rincon). With the CVT it just takes a spring, helix, weight, and a little time. Much cheaper than manufacturing a new 5th gear and tearing the engine down.

A CVT will consume (a little) more power, but it runs at the engine's most efficient RPM.

However, a 5 speed offers more contol/engine braking of the vehicle than a CVT. For example, you cannot lug the engine of a CVT in low traction situations. Not really a big deal for most of the ATV crowd, but you wouldn't see a CVT on a competitive race car, bike, etc. One because of the lack of the CVTs ability to handle high horsepower, two is the loss of control in handling. You also have to wait for a back shift when letting off of a CVT and stabbing the gas, but the right secondary clutch set-up can minimize delay.

Given 2 Vinsons (for example), one auto one manual, and two inexperienced riders, I would put my money on the auto in a drag race. Once you shift the 5 speed, you've lost the race. Seen a belt move past a 5 speed quite a few times when the 5 speed shifts.

I personally prefer to control the ratios, but I also like a clutch (to compensate for not being in the right gear by blipping the clutch). ATV 5 speeds are awkward in this respect, you have to press the foot shifter halfway, but this isn't a good idea on a 600lb quad in 4wd (It worked on my Banshee). The Hondamatic offers me the best of both. (not trying to sell you a Honda or a Hondamatic). They are complex, but EFI is much more complex than a carb, which would you want on your car/truck/etc...

I'm sure I'm missing a few points, but someone else is welcome to pipe in and offer their opinion...

Old 07-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

i have both a manual and an auto. i second the Propnut's post. good post. i prefer the belt drive, tho....

monty