Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Small hole in tire what should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small hole in tire what to do?

There is a very small hole in my tire but it is leaking, what should i do?
Should i bring it somewhere to have it plugged?

Old 04-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Small hole in tire what should i do?

If the hole is on the sidewall, I would get it replaced.
Buy a thing of slime and try that. Slime works pretty well...
I haven't used slime and a plug but you could try that I guess....

A tire plug kit is cheap. $10 bucks and you get like 10+ plugs from wal mart, complete with the tools to do it.
After you buy that kit you just need the refills which are even cheaper.

Not to mention it is a must have along w/ a air compressor when out trail riding...or a foot pump if you dont have a outlet.

......good luck w/ the tire

Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I'd try the slime first. If that doesn't work, use a plug even if it's a sidewall. I had four plugs in a slice in the sidewall of my Mudlites and got an extra 1000 miles. It still held air when I replaced it!
Buck

Old 04-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the slime and the best thing of all for your tool kit is a plug kit with C02 inflator, these are lifesavers, especially if you dont want to drag around a compressor with you or an air tank
I paid about 25.00 for mine and it sure beats buying the compressor(35.00 I think) and a plug kit(10-15.00)
Plus with mine I can just buy more c02 at walmart for like 10.00 for 25 of them which would probably be a lifetime supply.

1 c02 is suspossed to be good for about 3psi

Old 04-18-2007, 06:43 AM
Trailblazer

A friend of mine got some slime it was a waste of money. It would not seal a small leak in the bead on the rim. You could see it bubbling and oozing out. Just stick a tire plug in it. You would me amazed how many times you can plug an atv tire before it gets bald.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Pro Rider

Go with the plug kit. If you have not done it before it is easy to learn. Besides this is not the last one you will get. Besides with the plug kit you can do your vehicles etc. I had 6 plugs in one of my tires & was still going strong when I traded it in. Previous occupant of my place was not a very good grounds keeper when it came to sharp objects.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys all good info i think ill try plugging it.

Old 06-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

The heavy duty slime is very good for holes up to 1/4". I've pulled out 4" nails and it plugged it up. You need to put 16oz in each tire and it's good for two years. Even with that I still bring a pump with a car tire repair kit with lots of plugs. But so far haven't needed them.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

We had a quad we used to get around the base over in iraq... That stock polaris tire had literally 20 plugs in it... Side walls, 1" from bead, all over! held air just fine... mostly driven on hard packed roads and paved roads too.. except for when I took it wheelin on the base... I think my CW3 would wheel it to, but not admit it... I knew because he always left the 4x4 switch on...

So immediately when I bought my new quad.. I bought a plug kit w/ c02 inflators.. haven't used them yet.. .

Old 06-20-2007, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes a plug kit is cheap insurance, my cousin was riding with his brother and some of his brother's freind's when he stopped to take a pepsi break ; when one of the rider's a newbi slambed into the back of his quad punching a hole big enough that it took 9 plug's to stop the leak ! His brother told him he would buy a new tire because it was his fault for leting the newbi to ride with them that day , needless to say he never bought his brother a new tire ; but he rode the quad untill it the tire was bald before having to get new tire's ! We did have to renew the plug's about 4 or 5 time's before having to get the new tire's and this hole was in the side wall of the tire ! I tryed the slime on one of my old original tire on my first ATV an 86' Honda TRX 350 Foreman full time 4x4 , but the tire's that came out on 86' to 88' TRX 350 Foreman 4x4 didn't have a half inch of thread on them when they were new ! williebee

Quick Reply: Small hole in tire what should i do?