ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires (https://atvconnection.com/forums/drivetrain-suspension-tires/)
-   -   6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.? (https://atvconnection.com/forums/drivetrain-suspension-tires/303560-6-ply-vrs-2-ply-tires.html)

muddyweekends 12-23-2008 09:37 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

ok i brought some 2 plys today for my grizzly , not knowing my 4x4 had 6 plys. should i not use them.?

if not would they be ok on my kodiax.? i dont see a ply listing on them ?

thanks.

Rancher247 12-23-2008 11:06 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

Most stock tires I believe are two ply, while quite a few aftermarket radials are 6. I don't see why you couldn't run them, though they probably won't be as puncture resistant as 6 ply.

muddyweekends 12-24-2008 12:10 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

thanks

crazy4wdracer 12-27-2008 09:32 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

The 6 ply tires would be heavier but not as prone to puncturing. Like Rancher247 said most bikes come with 2 ply tires so that they can advertise low weight.

Stoopidbot 12-28-2008 02:16 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

If you ride through a lot of jagged rocks, 2 plys will puncture pretty easy. Just watch what your tires hit and you should be fine.

mudslinginfool 12-28-2008 05:21 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

most people will say that they get better handling with a 6 ply tire as it is a stiffer sidewall tire. I know i do.

muddyweekends 12-29-2008 01:56 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

im going to put the 2 plys on my wifes kodiax , its got lower tread them i got ,
i got her a good used one for x mas , we went riding together and i looked back she was bobbing in a big hole that i made it through, i told her you dont have to go through everything i go through.she flipped it one its side ,didnt go through it right ,she was off to one side.

then i got my grizzly stuck , she was getting on her bike and hit the gas while in rev. and got thrown into i ditch with her leg caught under the foot bar.

i dont know if i should get rid of her bike now. i dont want anything bad to happen to her. it was her first time out on a bike ? i dont know what she was doing.

we where riding in a group of 4 bikes

Stoopidbot 12-29-2008 02:19 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

If it's her first time on it, sounds like you are expecting too much of her. Don't scare her away from the sport. Encourage her to try again and help her through stuff.

muddyweekends 12-29-2008 02:29 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

the problem was , when we got out there with our 2 bike the kids wanted to take right off,i didnt get time to school her on riding through stuff. if i was to ride her with me the kids would have wanted to ride the bike i wasnt using then. there to big for them.
i got to toe the front end on her bike its all kicked out on one side now. i think she was riding the rear brake also, pads are gone. yamaha dealer is closed today.

we need to ride without otehr people, so we can go at our own pace.

i was the lead bike ,and she was the end bike with 2 other bikes in between us.

Stoopidbot 12-29-2008 02:41 PM

6 ply vrs. 2 ply tires.?

Exactly, try to get out there, just you and her, teach her the basics. How to shift her weight and all the other fun stuff. You lead and when you come to an obstacle, stop and have her watch you do it. Get off your ride and guide her through it. Her confidence will boost and she will see it is not as scary as her 1st exp.