Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Suzuki LT80 Widening for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki LT80 Widening for a newbie

I'm new to the forum and the sport after recently buying my boys a used 2004 Suzuki LT80. Needless to say, they absolutely love it and I'm already concerned a bit about stability.

I have done a good amount of reading online and am trying to understand options to widen the track. I've heard mixed opinions on spacers with most people suggesting a rear wheel flip and or wider wheels and tires.

I do have access to new parts at a discount so I won't rule out something like the durablue axle.

Although least expensive, I'm most cautious about spacers since I'm sure my kids will beat the heck out of this thing. If you have other experiences I'd like to hear about them.

If I wanted to widen the wheels and tires, can someone recommend specific sizes and brands of wheels and tires?

If I wanted to go the axle route, what do I need to do to widen the fronts? I'm somewhat assuming that if I'm investing in the axle, I should probably also update wheels and tires since the stock rears are so narrow?

Any input would be appreciated.

John

Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

As you mentioned, there are a handful of options to widen the narrow (IMHO) stance of the LT80. What I did initially was:
1) install 2.5inch spacers on the front (5" total in front)
2) invert the rear wheels to take advantage of the offset

This is a good first step if cost is at all an issue and works just fine for general trail riding. I had zero issues with the front spacers...just get good quality ones.

What's next really depends on your budget as things start getting pricy from here:
1) Durablue axel for rear (mentioned)
2) Durablue Wheel spacers for rear - I went this route on my son's build...5" total
3) Longer A-arms...these may require new shocks...I think some do & some don't
4) 300ex dual a-arm conversion kit...I've read mixed reviews, but no personal experience
5) Custom dual a-arm fab job - this is the path I'm going down...using an early LT250R setup and fabricating mounts...early LT's were narrow, plentiful (everyone wants the longer a-arms that came out in '87) well built, have replaceable ball joints and are disk brake ready...a bit more weight, but well worth it in handling...
6) Wheels - I think Douglas still makes the LT80 bolt pattern...seen lots of pics and they look nice...not sure about width availability...

One important item to mention when talking about widening or extending the rear is the excess force that may be placed on the engine case/swing-arm. I braced mine (kudos to Jack Moore for providing the size/location)...it might be overkill, but I think not as more stable=more confidence=more speed=more air=more stress on a poor design to begin with...but that's just my $0.02

Old 07-29-2016, 09:43 AM
Off Road Builderaholic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nobody makes the front a arm spindle/extenders for these bikes anymore?
Dang.

I am considering lengthening the lower a arms myself chop/weld
But the camber change with a single a arm will always be drastic, so the more wheel travel the more drastic the camber
Dual A arm would be the way to go

Don't be afraid of good wheel spacers, they are proven to work well on these machines.
I am running a 1.5" homebrew spacer on front and flipping the rear wheels around