Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Tire questions for my Yamaha Kodiak 400...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 11:02 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire questions for my Yamaha Kodiak 400...

So my factory tires are getting worn down and in need of replacing. I want some advice on what tires to get.

I really like the look of Kendra Executioners or maybe Maxxis Anclas (both are mud tires). However, I am not sure if I should be swayed solely on looks.

I do a little bit of everything with the quad. I ride around my yard a lot, go 4 wheeling trips 4-5 times a year in somewhat rough terrian in mud and up hills and just on trails, and even plow snow in the winter. Occasionally I do take the quad on the road also.

Are mud tires like these a good idea to get? I don't want them digging ruts into my yard or wearing down pre-maturely by the little road driving I do, but for sure want some grip on the trips I take and snow plowing I do.

Thoughts?

Old 09-19-2016, 11:16 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd look at the Maxxis Zillas. Those other tires you mentioned are pretty heavy tires that will eat a lot of power. The Zillas are aggressive but very lightweight yet still are a 6 ply tire. In stock size, they barely weigh more than the crappy stock tires that come on most machines. And are priced pretty competitively too https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-Zilla-...s=maxxis+zilla

Old 09-19-2016, 11:41 AM
Range Rover

Hmm, I had not considered that. Any other suggestions? I like the agressive tread pattern similar to tractor treads. I was hoping to find something similar to that, but I for sure don't want them robbing me of power. I really love my quad, but one thing I wish it had a little more of is power.

Old 09-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Range Rover

Also, I have and will keep my factory wheels. Any chance I can go slightly wider on the rear with some 25x11-12's? Or do I have to keep my 25x10-12 size?

Old 09-19-2016, 07:16 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had a set of mud tires they tore up the trails. I think something like executioners would tear up your yard too. You might be better off with a general purpose tire like bighorns.

The following users liked this post:
dawgvet2003 (10-08-2023)
Old 09-19-2016, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
When I had a set of mud tires they tore up the trails. I think something like executioners would tear up your yard too. You might be better off with a general purpose tire like bighorns.
Yeah, I ride around the yard almost daily. Can't have something that destroys it.

The search continues...

Old 09-20-2016, 09:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mudlite Ats would be a decent mildly aggressive tire that are close to the same weight as the stock tires. I had a set of those on the rear of a 2wd 250cc Suzuki Ozark and I couldn't tell the the difference in power over stock tires but it definitely made a difference in how well it did in the mud. Priced pretty reasonably too, I'd stick with the stock 25x8x12 fronts and 25x10x12 rears https://www.amazon.com/Full-ITP-25x8...lite+atv+tires.
Kenda Bearclaws are another good choice for all-around performance and value But are slightly heavier than the Mudlite at's. https://www.amazon.com/FRONT-25-8-12...6T1X1T62GFTX99
One more I'll throw in there would these tires https://www.amazon.com/Tires-25x8-12...C739QN9WBVXT09. They're a little deeper tread than the other 2 but slightly heavier. I think the Mudlite at's would be the best choice overall because of the light weight and still relatively aggressive but not too aggressive tread pattern. Yamaha even made them the stock tires on the Big Bear 400 the last couple of years it was produced.

Old 09-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, mud lites are a good choice for sure. I like how the center tread is practically interlocked. Personally I am running the bearclaw htr and they are nice too. Wear is excellent. I use 4wd around the yard, even the stock knobbies I had would tear stuff up otherwise.

Another good tire that will give up a bit in the mud but great trail and all around tire will be the itp holeshot atr

Old 09-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Range Rover

Thank you all for the good info. I like the mud lites and the Bear Claw. Those seem to be my top contenders at this time.

Is there anything wrong with ordering one inch wider tires than my factory ones? One thing I dislike about the quad is how narrow the wheels look and a wider tire would help but don't want to run into problems. Thoughts?

Old 09-22-2016, 12:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you can find them in that size. Usually to get wider tires, than the 8 inch front and 10 inch rear you need to go a size bigger to a 26" tire. I think you would be better off keeping the stock size and width. Keeps the weight down and makes steering and braking easier.

Quick Reply: Tire questions for my Yamaha Kodiak 400...