Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

need a light off road tire

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 02:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a light off road tire

Hello all, I just ordered a Polaris 570 Ace and while I'm waiting for it to show up I figured id do some research on things I know I'm going to add/replace immediately. I already know I'm going to add some after market windows (front and back) and I'm sure I want new tires. the trouble I'm in is trying to figure out exactly what tires to get...

the 570 Ace is a heavy vehicle for its engine size and with my fat 240lb butt in the seat it will already have to do some work so id like to stick with light tires but would still like to move up to a 26" tire from the factory 25". however i do not want to have to modify the vehicle to fit the tires. the terrain ill be driving on is primarily soft damp marshy soil in dense woods. i will be trying to avoid deep mud but it is pretty wet here year round. access to most areas will be via dirt/gravel roads where decent traction at some speed (around 40mph) will be needed.

the tires I'm currently looking at are the Maxxis Zilla and the Kenda Bear Claw (6 ply). which one of these do you think would be ideal? do you have a better suggestion?

thank you
-Matt

Old 12-14-2017, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

The best tires that I've ever had: Outlaw MST's. They do everything well. MST= mud, snow and trail, I believe. I was blown away how great they are in snow. I chased a bunch of snow sleds at 50-60 mph thru 8-10 inch snow on my AC 700 ! But excellent in mud and even ride nice on asphalt. Your 2 choices are also very good.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Why not use up the factory tires first. after all you paid for them. Most factory tires are light in weight as they make the machines perform better.
Going to a bigger dia tire will cost you some performance even with a light weight tire. Sounds like your machine is a new one so why not take it easy for the first year until everything gets broke in and get you money's worth out of the stock tires. Keep in mind lots of mods right of the bat could hurt your warranty!!

Old 12-14-2017, 01:18 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going up an inch in diameter, if the tires run true to size, will give you 1/2" more ground clearance. That 1/2" will probably never make a difference in where you can go. The Ace is about 170 pounds heavier than the Sportsman but the 570 puts out a lot of power for it's size. I don't think you need to get lightweight tires but I have heard good things about Zillas. The tread is about 5/8" deeper on them than on Bearclaws. If your stock tires work well I think you should wear them out before spending more money on tires. I had mud tires on one of my ATVs and it was a waste of money.

Old 12-14-2017, 03:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

the dealership I'm buying the Ace from offered $250 for the tires that come on the machine if I don't use them. I already know I'm going to have trouble with the stock tires where I live (neighbors warned me). seems like a good idea to take the dealership up on their offer and save a bunch of money on new tires.

as for hurting my warranty, I don't think new tires and a set of windows is going to hurt anything. only other things I might add in the near future would be a spare tire bracket, a spare wheel/tire, and some mirrors.