Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Hanging 200# off the rear and 75# off the front???

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanging 200# off the rear and 75# off the front???

Bought a Kawasaki 400 years ago to drag my rock crusher into the mountains but did not get out there. Don't have the weight carrying capacity or space for a tag along trailer in the toy hauler. The tandems are just as heavy as the crusher and very bulky and wide.

Need to get this weight down as low as practical, it's a 1/4" thick box so hitting a rock is not likely to damage it. The main concern is rolling down the hill sideways. With the weight hanging 10-12" further to the rear (just clearing the tires) that would put greater leverage on the frame. This could make those stresses equal the 'supposed' 400# rear rack capacity of many ATVs. Is there some way to reinforce the frame to handle this? Anyone tried before? No luck with searches.

Same trouble up front, have to get the C.O.G. down AND balance the rear overhung weight. I presume the front suspension can handle 75#, and there is substantial framework in most to attach to.

It would be great if I could go down a gravel road at 15-20mph and 3-5mph top off road speeds are more than adequate.

Looking for an older low center of gravity SRA machine with a low range preferably with engine braking that can be modified to haul this gear. Also, could a true solid rear axle be steerable with the extra weight upfront. Posi sounds very desirable. And chains are cheap.

Thanks

Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most ATVs are rated to carry half as much on the front rack as the rear so you have a 1/3 - 2/3 balance. I don't know anything about SRA utility quads since I've had IRS only for over 20 years. I wish I could be more helpful.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Had a praire 300, same weight capacity, used a liquid sprayer on back with a sand bag on front for counter balance. It handled the weight (350lb) but steering and other handling like braking was terrible. With the solid axle it did not want to turn hardly at all. Great machine otherwise, owned it for 16 yrs with O issues. When they are loaded to capacity thay can become quite dangerous for anything other than straight line running. A UTV might be a better choice for what you are asking for. I have a side x side and with that same sprayer in the back all the way to the rear, you hardly notice it there!!

Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'd be right at full capacity for most atv racks front and rear on the bigger utility machines. I'm sure steering and handling would definitely be compromised. I couldn't say how it would handle as I've never loaded a machine to its max and tried it. The Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 2002 and newer was a great workhorse and might be one to consider. I say 2002 and newer as 2002 was the first year of selectible 4x4, it was full-time 4x4 before that. Much better being able to engage 4x4 only when you really need it, makes steering much easier. The Suzuki Eiger 4x4 manual version was about equal in capability and reliability. Really no way to know how it will handle the weight until you buy it though. Its going to be a strain on any atv as far as suspension and handling. For about $5000 or so(maybe less) you can buy a used Yamaha Rhino which would easily be able to handle that much weight in the bed. It is bigger than an atv but smaller and lighter than most utility utvs just have to check the specs and see if it will fit your toy hauler.