Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

First atv, what size tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 09:01 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First atv, what size tires?

hi. I have an older Kawasaki Bayou 220. I am using this for a hunting rig and need some more aggressive mud tires. It is only 2x4 but it was a cheap buy so I’ll make do hopefully with decent tires. They are dry rotting I can tell so I need recommendations. My rides are 1-2miles at most, never joy riding, only hunting. I currently have Carlisle Trail Wolf 22x10x10 in the rear and Carlisle 4Max 22x8x9 in the front.
A) i don’t know the wheel width but what size tires should I get to help a 2x4 in mud? Stick to stock, go wider, taller, etc? Do the fronts even matter?
B) this was a $400 quad, I don’t want to put another $400 into just tires, can I get a few recommendations please for both front and rear that aren’t all that expensive? I do ride on a groomed logging trail mostly so I am looking for something more aggressive than what I have, not nothing all out mud only.

Old 06-02-2018, 06:17 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't go too much larger in diameter, as it will reduce your power. Don't know what to suggest for a cheap mud tire, I've tended to buy the more expensive tires. My friends swear by "MudLites" and "Zillas", but there may be cheaper Chineese knock offs. You can use different diameter front to rear as you are 2wd. I would try a narrower front tire and the fattest that I could fit on the back, possibly even 2 different styles, maybe cheap non aggressive front rollers and some real serious mud tires on back? Tape measure will tell you what will fit. Also, if the rear rims are narrow, don't go too wide with rear tires.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

These are three that I quickly found on Amazon for new rear tires. Can you help me understand what each tread is meant for. I assume they are all three mud tires by the looks, but why is one better ? And are these tread patterns better than my Carlisle Trail Wolf tires i currently have ?

tire 1 tire 1
This is what I am leaning toward based on price. Any reason not to ? Its the deepest tread

tire 2 tire 2
This seems maybe better for mud ? Also better name brand. it is 23" vs 22" OEM size, but it will fit.

tire 3 tire 3
This looks like a mud tire but their website says "Ideal for intermediate-to-hard cross country racing conditions"

tire 4 tire 4

This looks similar to what I have, so not sure its any better ?

Old 06-02-2018, 03:29 PM
Trailblazer

or this looks very promosing.. GBC ATV Tire - Dirt Devil A/T 22-11.00-10 (6 Ply) $60 each
any opinion on these for the mud ?

Old 06-02-2018, 06:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had GBC tires, and as far as I know, no one I know has ever had them, but they have a good reputation from the little bit I've read about them. Kenda Bear Claws worked well for a guy I sometimes ride with but we didn't go mudding.The only thing I know about SUNF tires is that they're on a lot of Chinese ATVs. Nothing says quality like made in China.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

Yea the Chinese made thing kinda worried me. I won’t even put 100 miles a year on these tires so it’s hard to justify some of these high end tires. If you HAD to choose, what would you say would be better for the mud?

Old 06-02-2018, 08:03 PM
Moto Psycho

Just guessing I'd say tire 3 would be good in mud, but I'd spend the extra 82 cents apiece for the Dirt Devils.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:24 PM
Trailblazer

Decisions.. Decisions.....

but to be clear.. both Bear Claws and Dirt Devils are better than my Carlisle Trail Wolf’s ?

Old 06-03-2018, 04:43 PM
Moto Psycho

The Bear Claw and Dirt Devil both look like they have better lug designs than the Trail Wolf, and enough space between the lugs so they clean out instead of plugging up with mud. The Dirt Devil looks better to me. It's been GBC's top seller for more than 20 years so other people must think so too. And it looks the most like a mud tire.

Old 06-03-2018, 05:15 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot!! I appreciate the feedback.

Now last question to this.. The Dirt Devils come in 22x11x10 where the Bear Claws come in 23x10x10.. say both tires are fairly similar in style, would one do better for me over the other based on those two size options, for my 2wd bayou 220? And as a side part. The 11” wide Dirt Devil will fit on my stock rim right ?

Quick Reply: First atv, what size tires?