Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

New tires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 12:37 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New tires!!!

My stock tires were dry rotted from 10 years of sitting in the sun. Last month the sidewalls started leaking and they had holes in the tread area too. I bought a set of SunF A033 tires on smile.amazon.com. They're another Maxxis Bighorn rip-off. A friend has a set of them on his Sportsman 850 and likes them, and they're relatively cheap, so I got the same tires in the stock sizes for my 500. I got 2 26x8-12 and 2 26x11-12 tires for $343.96 and the shipping was free. The same tire bundle costs $345.99 with free shipping on SunF's website, so I got them $2.03 cheaper. And since it was AmazonSmile, 1/2% of everything I spend gets donated to the charity I choose. I was looking at some Carlisle A.C.T. radial tires since they're exactly the same as the Polaris PXT tires that were on it. They would have cost me $423.66 on Amazon, and that's with 10" wide rear tires instead of 11" wide. My tires were $79.70 cheaper than that in the right size and look a lot tougher. They should be the last tires I ever buy for this quad. The front tires have an arrow showing which direction they should turn for traction, but the rear tires don't. It's a non-directional tread pattern so I don't know what the deal is with that.

https://www.sunf.com/collections/bun...=3935462162445

Old 08-16-2018, 11:43 PM
Moto Psycho

I was looking at some other tires with tread patterns similar to my new SunF A033s and came across the GBC Dirt Tamers. Except for the name on the Dirt Tamer, they could have come from the same mold. If there's any other difference I don't see it.

Old 08-17-2018, 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should be a very long lasting tire. I may buy something similar to that. I'd probably lean more toward the itp mudlite ats though. I had those on my Brute Force and I really liked them.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Moto Psycho

They should last quite a while with all that tread. I won't ride enough to wear them out anyway.

I bought mud tires for one of my ATVs and I'll never do it again. I actually only needed them one time. Part of a snowmobile/ATV trail runs just outside of the 95,000+ acre Seney National Wildlife Refuge where a National Landmark called Strangmoor Bog is. I went about 10 miles through a mud bog full of stumps while everyone else took another trail around it. One guy said he was right behind me, but must have turned around as soon as he got mud on his tires. The guys on their Grizzly 660s weren't brave enough (or stupid enough) to go through it, even with me breaking trail on my Sportsman 500 H.O. I was the only one with mud tires and they had their sucky Yamaha stock tires. So I was on my own all the way through the bog with stock sized mud tires. I bashed into a lot of stumps but somehow managed not to break anything, and I only got stuck a few times. I winched backward over my front cargo box once because I was running out of options. When I finally made it through the bog I was covered with mud, and all of my nice clean friends were sitting at the intersection drinking cold ones and laughing at me. If I didn't buy that set of mud tires I could have saved myself a lot of trouble by going around the bog, and saved hundreds of dollars too.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Got me looking at tires too on Amazon. I saw these in my stock 25" size, I kinda like how they look and the price is hard to beat at $214 for the set of 4 with free shipping
https://www.amazon.com/WANDA-tires-25x8-12-25X8X12-Front/dp/B07BDMT6JP/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SPMPMGKTXMZDCRA1AZ7T. https://www.amazon.com/WANDA-tires-25x8-12-25X8X12-Front/dp/B07BDMT6JP/ref=pd_ybh_a_18?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SPMPMGKTXMZDCRA1AZ7T.
I don't need super aggressive tires really anymore either. These look like they would be aggressive enough for the type of riding I do most of the time. I do tend to avoid the big mudholes anymore myself too. Sometimes its not completely avoidable but there is usually an easier path on most of the trails I ride on.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greg74
Should be a very long lasting tire. I may buy something similar to that. I'd probably lean more toward the itp mudlite ats though. I had those on my Brute Force and I really liked them.
I'd take the mud lite over anything that even resembled a Big Horn.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:18 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by greg74
Got me looking at tires too on Amazon. I saw these in my stock 25" size, I kinda like how they look and the price is hard to beat at $214 for the set of 4 with free shipping https://www.amazon.com/WANDA-tires-2...TXMZDCRA1AZ7T. I don't need super aggressive tires really anymore either. These look like they would be aggressive enough for the type of riding I do most of the time. I do tend to avoid the big mudholes anymore myself too. Sometimes its not completely avoidable but there is usually an easier path on most of the trails I ride on.
You need 8" wide tires front and back? I took a quick look at some Wanda tires, but I don't know anyone who has them, and didn't want to be the guinea pig. They have some at walmart.com. If you want to see what they look like in person you can see if they have them at a store near you. They don't have any Wanda tires at all at 5 Walmart stores near me. They're online only. They look a lot like Carlisle AT 489 II tires, but smaller. I had the original style AT 489 tires on my Trailblazer 250 and liked them. I rode mostly dirt with them, but also some snow and mud. I only got stuck when I high centered, not because I needed more traction.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...name/at-489-ii

Old 08-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

My favorite tires that I've ever had were ITP Mudlite XTR"s. They were amazing in the mud and snow and were good in the rocks too. A little pricey but if I had the extra cash I'd get them again. I had Interco Swamplites on the Outlander Max 650 XTP I had and those were excellent too and not bad price-wise.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:48 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by Specta
I'd take the mud lite over anything that even resembled a Big Horn.
None of the various Mud Lites come in the 26x8-12 stock size I want for the front. If they did and they were cheap I would consider them. If I went 1" wider on the front and got the right size on the rear I could get a full set of Mud Lite XTRs on Amazon for $496.43. I'd rather have the right size $152.47 cheaper. The money I saved could buy me a 3rd front tire and I'd still have $67.48 left to spend on gas or food.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
You need 8" wide tires front and back? I took a quick look at some Wanda tires, but I don't know anyone who has them, and didn't want to be the guinea pig. They have some at walmart.com. If you want to see what they look like in person you can see if they have them at a store near you. They don't have any Wanda tires at all at 5 Walmart stores near me. They're online only. They look a lot like Carlisle AT 489 II tires, but smaller. I had the original style AT 489 tires on my Trailblazer 250 and liked them. I rode mostly dirt with them, but also some snow and mud. I only got stuck when I high centered, not because I needed more traction.

https://www.carlislebrandtires.com/o...name/at-489-ii
I didn't even catch that they were 8" wide all around, probably a typo. I saw these too
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071H81DJM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071H81DJM&pd_rd_wg=6wNvp&pd_rd_r=XDJSPVGC43W2H9YA8ZSW&pd_rd_w=JJuW7. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071H81DJM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B071H81DJM&pd_rd_wg=6wNvp&pd_rd_r=XDJSPVGC43W2H9YA8ZSW&pd_rd_w=JJuW7.
It could be risky buying some of these lesser known brands of tires but at least these have some reviews, all of which are 5 star reviews.

Quick Reply: New tires!!!