Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

lite rear UTV tires for lite sand advice/recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 10:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a few tire brands, that I was considering, but not true to size or other problems

Maxxis Zilla ATV Tires 26-11-12 MZ41100 23.3 # 1.19480 $101.90
I just read review
they run small and puncture way too easy
3 miles into the first ride with these tires one popped on a gravel trail no sticks no sharp rocks just class 5 gravel. also i bought 26x11x12 and the accual height of the tire is 24.5" at 5psi.

MASSFX MS
This tire is only 23-1/2" tall. Not even close to 26 inches tall as advertised.One Star
By Joshua S. on Jun 01, 2018

BIG HORN:
Run heavy about 30#'s, compared to other lite brands. Tread doesn't match front tires. need more of a paddle tread for sand.

Kenda Bear Claw
reviews
You get what you pay for. I thought I was getting a great deal on a pair of 25x10x12 tires until I got them mounted. They are much smaller than the stock tires I was replacing. They are aprox. 24" diameter. They blow up when adding air/ shred easily!

GBC Spartacus
Extremely heavy, and only 12'' W, no 11'' sizes as needed, I have these mounted for rear tires now, look good, work well for plowing snow, but I'm afraid while riding fast and long trips, out most of the day, they'll mess with clutch/belts!

Old 02-12-2019, 11:20 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4-tracker
My findings on reviews MASSFX MS
This tire is only 23-1/2" tall. Not even close to 26 inches tall as advertised.One Star

By Joshua S. on Jun 01, 2018
My computer doesn't know what to do with that file. I tried Firefox several times and I tried Chrome. Both showed a bunch of words but I don't know what part to read. The reviews at the Amazon link I posted were mostly 5 stars with an average rating of 4.8. The worst review was 3 stars because they were hard to mount. He said he would have given them 5 stars otherwise. There were 32 5-star reviews, 5 4-star, that single 3-star review, and no 2-star or 1-star reviews. I don't think the 4.8 out of 5 stars is fake when they're all Verified Purchases. If the tires were that small I think the reviews would all be 1 star, and I find it hard to believe any tire with 26" stamped into it is 2 1/2 inches smaller than that, no matter who made it. But I've been wrong about other things before.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:34 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Lots of people have Zillas and really like them. I see people on here recommend them all the time. They're one of the lightest mud tires ever made AFAIK. You're not going to find a light tire that's thick enough to be puncture proof. If you want tires that won't get punctured get some heavy 8-ply tires. Even if you do get a hole in them they can run with no air. But if you want light tires you have to compromise. You can't have the best of everything all in one package.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:51 AM
Pro Rider

I believe your right there Big Frank! I will probably get, like a zilla, even if I need to trade em out often, they look lite, and I have patched these balloon type tires before, and held up pretty good! I just know These heavy fat tires I have on now are history right after our snow has left the area for good! And good ridden's to it! Looks like your getting the blunt of today's storm, where were just getting glanced....again! lol

Old 02-13-2019, 11:50 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I was looking around Tractor Supply Co. one day and found a 30-pack of Slime brand tire repair plugs. I used all the plugs in my tire repair kit trying to fix my old tires last July. All those years of sitting in the sun turned my tires into Swiss cheese. I put 15 plugs in my kit and I'm giving the other 15 to a couple of friends. You don't need any rubber cement with these plugs. Just ream the hole out with a rasp tool, poke the plug in and trim off the excess, and the tire's ready to air up.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 AM
Pro Rider

Never leave camp without em!! Also my little compressor, needed many times while out on trails!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:33 PM
THE BERMINATOR

My riding buddy always takes an air compressor, but my tire plug kit has 2 little CO2 cylinders that screw onto a short hose, just in case. I can put a lot of stuff in the "glove box" under the rear rack, and that stays in there until it's time to come back home. I can't leave anything in my quad at home because someone might take it. I had some long zip ties in there and one day they were lying on the ground. Some thief was looking in there to see what they could take.

Old 04-29-2019, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Here is what I settled on, 26 x 12'' Big Mud Horn set, 6 ply., lite, Looks like they'll dig in, and grab real well. $259 set. 8'' front, 11'' rears. Should get here before weekend. Hopefully they'll be no more sliding/floating on soft sand! The Mars mud lites had me freaking out, with the quad wantering all over the trail, riding close to trees! I shouldn't have never put them on the front, their more a rear type tire, where you expect to go into a skid/slide, but not on front!

Old 04-29-2019, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider

Here is what I settled on, 26 x 12'' Big Mud Horn set, 6 ply., lite, looks like they'll dig in, and grab real well. $259 set. 8'' front, 11'' rears. Should get here before weekend. Hopefully they'll be no more sliding/floating on soft sand! The Mars mud lites had me freaking out, with the quad wandering all over the trail, riding close to trees! I should have never put them on the front, their more a rear type tire, where you expect to go into a skid/slide, but not in the front!

Old 04-29-2019, 05:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The big horns have a good following, been considwring them when I replace my tires. Your going to have quite a supply of atv tires, I can just inagine your machine having a row of various tires stacked and hanging on the back of your quad! Lol
Brought the MH home, started up instantly after sitting for 5 months! Now to figure out why the genny wont stay running and get it cleaned out, then stocked up and ready to go. Will have my buggy summerized and ready with a couple days work. Started working with the gps to be familiar with it but realized I have the sd card for snowmobiles, talked to Jeremey and a new one for orv routes is on its way. With rain forcast for every day this week I am gonna have to see if I can work all this in while mowing this super fast growing grass. Have to get another 5 gal of gas for mowing just this week! 4 tracker...how did your heater work? You guys must have had some chilly nights!

Quick Reply: lite rear UTV tires for lite sand advice/recommendation