ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires (https://atvconnection.com/forums/drivetrain-suspension-tires/)
-   -   All-Terrain/ Intermediate mud tires (https://atvconnection.com/forums/drivetrain-suspension-tires/76143-all-terrain-intermediate-mud-tires.html)

Benedark 09-24-2002 10:39 PM

I was wondering what are the 2 best intermediate mud/ all-terrain tire that will be put on a sport quad. Here are the selections: ITP Spider Trac/ Pure Sports Realtor/ Kenda Bear Claw/ Maxxis Sur-Trak/ GBC Mud Shark/ GBC Dirt Devil. These will all be of the 22 inch tall variety. I plan on getting a 500 Zilla or some other high power quad and want to do some mud dragging and trail riding with these. These also won't be my only tire, I will have some sort of trail only tire but when I have these on I will fix the gearing. So which 2 are the top choices?

colt77 09-24-2002 11:03 PM

There's no such thing like intermidiate tire. You have a mud tire or you don't.Nothing in between.
I had a same idea about a compromise tire and bought Spider trak for my Grizz 660. Great tire/wide....but, nothing exciting about it,not a mud tire at all,plus it gets worn out fast/rear/. But it is 12,5 x 12 and that makes it interesting,'cause I could use C rims.
Just my experiance.
Joe

Benedark 09-25-2002 04:17 PM

What I meant by intermediate was with the mud itself not tha tire. They will be used for mud that is deep and slopping enough for any of the tires listed yet not so much as to need a 4x4. The mud drag pit is like 6-10 inches deep normally. Anyway, any more opinions?

nyroc 09-27-2002 11:29 PM

I don't really like the tires you listed for mud.

The mudrunner is a great tire for mud, but not overly aggressive. Ride good.
The 589XT is not quite as good in mud, but still really good. Better on dry than the mudrunner. Rides good.
The mudbug is pretty good choice too.

Mudzilla, Vamp EDL, Gator, Outlaw are more aggresive.

Benedark 09-28-2002 03:40 PM

I guess I will have to clarify myself again. The tires you listed are no doubt very good in the mud, BUT, they aren't the one I want people to pick from and they aren't of the 22 inch tall varitey like I stated. And while they may be good for a utility, I wouldn't put them on a sport-type quad like I also stated, the Quadzilla for example. I hope now someone will respond to my question and givesome advice.

trailboss450 09-30-2002 10:33 AM

I guess my choices would be the Bear Claws and the Spyder Tracs. I am basing my choice on the fact that I had the Bear Claws, my buddy had the Spyder Tracs and we had them on similar quads, rode together often and had similar riding styles. After all this the only difference I saw was longer life of the tread on the Claws. They were very comparible in mud or hardpack trail conditions. I have had the Mud Sharks too and they seemed to wear a little faster than either of the others but I did like the fact that they were lighter than the others. I am not saying the others listed are no good I am only giving an opinion on the ones I have personal experience with. It boils down to the fact that you will probably like any of your choices better than a stock tire.

chad400ex 09-30-2002 11:19 AM

Don't forget the All Traks. I've seen sport quads get through some nasty mud with those tires. Plus, they are a good trail tire for in-between the mud holes. Big deep lugs, and a 4-ply stiff sidewall.

EasterEgg 09-30-2002 01:22 PM

Have you considered the Super Swamper 22x12.5x? an excellent strait line mud tire. Not much side bite for trail riding and they are one of the lighter mud tires. A set of paddles would be awsome there was a place around here that used to do mud runs. A Zilla 500 with paddles won the 2wd class every week throwing 8ft tall roosters, lots of fun to watch. This was a 2 foot deep pit with a sandy bottom.

ROE 09-30-2002 07:19 PM

NYROC,YOU ARE PROB. THE MOST RESPECTED IN ALL THESE FORUMS. I HAVE A QUESTION. I HAVE A NEW RINCON,WHAT REPLACEMENT TIRE WOULD YOU SUGGEST WHEN MINE WEAR DOWN. I RIDE TRAILS MOSTLY,VERY LITTLE MUD,A LOT OF LOOSE ROCK,GRAVEL.MOSTLY STEEP HILLS AND GENERAL TRAIL RIDING. THANKS IN ADVANCE...ROE

Benedark 09-30-2002 07:27 PM

Man! I new I was forgetting a tire! The Swampers or maybe the Spider Trak or even the Realtors would probably be my choice but I was wondering what some others thought, good posts and thanks for the advice.