Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Pismo Reservations-How Often Do They Sell Out??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pismo Reservations-How Often Do They Sell Out??

Anybody getting turned back at Pismo because of no reservations?? Last week, I make reservations for the weekend of 8/9. When I called, they said they had lots of them left. My friend called a day later, and they were already sold out! So, what do we do? Can you just show up and count on there being a bunch of no-shows? Or, can he just get a day pass, unload his gear, and leave his vehicle somewhere in town (where would be a safe place??). I had a bunch of friends who were going to go, and I know none of them have made reservations yet. Guess everybody is out of luck!

Another question. Now that they have closed the beach from post #6, have they lowered the number of reservations to account for having less beach? Is that what is going on here??

Old 07-14-2003, 11:51 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Recon,

I don't know if this will help, but it may be worth looking in to. I am going to Pismo this weekend, and when I called I asked for reservations to Pismo and they told me they were all sold out already. However, I went onto www.ReserveAmerica.com and got reservations no problem. When I originally called the 800 number, I asked for reservations to Pismo. I think what I should have said was Oceano SVRA. I believe there are two different campgrounds, so if he just asked for Pismo (as I did), he would have had the person looking at the wrong campground.

Or, it could be just really busy that weekend. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Tim

Old 07-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

We're going to Pismo also this weekend.. actually Wed-Sun. We ALWAYS make reservations at www.reserveamerica.com just for the simple fact that you never know when the beach will sell out. They charge a $7.00 reservation fee, but it's well worth the peace of mind knowing you can get onto the beach. You do have to make them no later than 11 days prior to your arrival date or it will show sold out... even if they aren't. Have fun!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-14-2003, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Reconranger:

I doubt there sold out yet. As TReMor, noted there are (2) like or similar named campgounds. The inside reservation people mix up the two places now and then. As he mentioned, call back and ask for "Oceano Dunes SVRA", confirm the nightly price is $6.00 and camping is "on the beach" and you'll have the right place/site. While the Holiday weekends are now selling out 2-3 months in advance the "off-weekends" shouldn't sell out nearly as quick, but summer is the busiest time there.

Also I have heard of people getting a day pass, driving out on the beach, dropping their trailer and then driving their truck off the beach and parking it.

So far I haven't heard anything about lowering the camp site limit from 1,000 yet. I wouldn't be surprised though if it's done as it makes sence, less space will brings more havic, congestion Etc.

Rude Dog

Old 07-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

hey guys I was this weekend and when I showed up they told me I could only get a day pass because they were full. So we parked on top at night.

Old 07-14-2003, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

i go to pismo regular, well not very much anymore, blew up my 400, i went to glamis thanksgiving 2002 now i am hooked. Its really hard to get res. at the dunes on a big weekend, they are already sold out for the 4th 2004, if u like to go on big weekends, go for it, but if u hate crowds go on a off weekend, u wont need to make res. on a off weekend, once school starts for every1 there wont be a soul out there, and the hill r to die for, no ruts, the tips r perfect for jumping, and u wont run into anyone, and u will c like 2 rangers the whole day, so u can screw around all day

Old 07-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

We finally sorted this out. You need to ask for "OCEANO DUNES SVRA", not Pismo!! "PISMO SB" is a state beach campground, not the dunes. We made reservations today, and they are NOT BOOKED UP. Thanks Everyone!!

Old 07-16-2003, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Glad to hear it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]