Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Dumont Dunes on Presidents day questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 12:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumont Dunes on Presidents day questions

This is our first time going to Dumont so we have some questions.
Do all the jeeps there for the drags get in the way of us sand shredding atv guys, Or is it still a good time?
Is there a better area to camp in?
Are there good areas for jumping? I keep hearing about how tall the dunes are and that they have sharp crests.

Thanks for your help

Old 01-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

the jeeps are sectioned off and are a little in the way if your trying to get to the dunes on the right side but it just packed with people and isent really a concern..

We like to camp on the very outskirts of the dirt,as far back as you want to go you can and the dirt is quite hard but you can go deeper if you have a 4WD.. less bikes go by and the wind is a little calmer if you nestle up against a hill.

Jumps are all over and the Dunes are steep but they are like hills or mountians of sand but they do have a nice lip here and there for jumping and the fingers of dunes thatt run parrallel with the dunes are nice to catch air on too...

Old 01-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. We can't wait to get out there and check it out. We've been to Pismo quite a bit and were looking for something different to check out.

Thanks again for the help. Are you going to be out there?

Old 01-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

I am out there every weekend almost and it's quite bit difffrent than pismo and your jaw will drop once you check out the size of the dunes,the whole area is not big but the dunes are killer big..

have fun and if you see a black and red raptor with black rims and a craycraft scker on the side killing bikes at the hill it's me>>lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2004, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

We are going to be out there from early Thursday morning until Sunday. You said the area is small. It's bigger than pismo isn't it? Do you think 4 days is to long to be there.

We will have a Blue warrior, Blue yfz450, Blue Blaster, Red and Grey Predator and couple other bikes. We'll come check out some races. Hope to see you there.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always camp on the extreem west side as close to the "area closed" signs as possible while still being in the open area. There's less wind and people here plus at night you can see the entire parking lot.

Easy to find your camp too since it's prolly the only one over there.

I don't like the big weekends. Too many people and you cant go over a hill w/o getting run over. Be carefull.

Old 01-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

what is the open acreage you can ride at dumont?

Old 01-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: havinnoj
what is the open acreage you can ride at dumont?
Good question. I could not find the actual size. The dunes are about 1/2 mile wide and maybe 4 miles long.

Seems that the parking lot is bigger that the dune area.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I found the same info you did. I looked in an old issue of Sand Sports when they did all the dune ride spots and it said that there were 2300 acres open to riding. But I have heard from others that there is as much as 7000-10000 acres. So I'm not too sure about the actual acreage.

Old 01-13-2004, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

Well you can ride anywhere on the dunes or the parking lot. Maybe the dunes cover 2300 acres and the total with the parking lot is 7000 or so?

Quick Reply: Dumont Dunes on Presidents day questions