Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Fees going up at Sand Mountain

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 12:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fees going up at Sand Mountain

Originally posted by: BeerSmurf
I'm not totally against this.
Maybe the higher fees will help with the high school kids who go there just to drink, the morons who light bonfires in the dunes, and the idiots who ride on the plants on purpose.

I love Sand Mountain but some people just suck.
I agree it is time we come down on our own, those that trash the bathrooms, burn pallets and leave the nails, break glass and leave trash we are all associated we these people. It is hard to mount a defence when these are the first things they point out.
We all have a lot of money tied up in this sport, if we stand togather we should be able to keep access open and maybe reopen some that has been closed . But I don't think it will be possible until we clean up our own act!

Old 10-11-2005, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider

That's only 25 cents a day for the year. If you can go 10 times in a year it's only $9 a day. If you only go a couple times a year, hopefully the money they spent to improve the area and the high fees keeping most of the rif-raf out will make the experience worth it. Just trying to look at the bright side.

If you see someone trashing the place or burning pallets, you should stop and beat the **** out of them. You have paid for that privledge.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Whats the fine for not having your camping pass?
I think I'll keep my money and they can lick my boletas...

Old 10-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider

From that post, it sounds like you might be exactly who we don't want around.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Starky
That's only 25 cents a day for the year. If you can go 10 times in a year it's only $9 a day. If you only go a couple times a year, hopefully the money they spent to improve the area and the high fees keeping most of the rif-raf out will make the experience worth it. Just trying to look at the bright side.

If you see someone trashing the place or burning pallets, you should stop and beat the **** out of them. You have paid for that privledge.

its also looks like it $40 wether you ride for a week or a day? They should just have a Daily fee like we have here, $7 a day. But our dunes are small and much more manageable the whole place is fenced in,and thier is only 2 entry gates, both have Rangers stations collecting money.

I dont mind the fees, cause thier are more paved roads in camp,and new Bathrooms with HOT showers. They biuld new camp grounds ,all with RV hook-ups, etc....

The weekly rate is a rip off, if you are only staying a couple days, like 95% of the duners do.

Bigger.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:47 PM
Pro Rider

Who says I wanna hang out with you and who died and made you king of the hill...
Yes I'm the guy up at 3am yelling and screaming obsenities....so please keep the noise to a minimum between 3:30am and 10:00am while I catch up on my shut-eye

Old 10-11-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RacinJason
Who says I wanna hang out with you and who died and made you king of the hill...
Yes I'm the guy up at 3am yelling and screaming obsenities....so please keep the noise to a minimum between 3:30am and 10:00am while I catch up on my shut-eye
I rest my case.

Old 10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got back from a weekend trip to Sand Mtn and decided to bend over for the BLM and buy a new pass. I talked to the ranger, who gladly took my money, in regards to where the extra funds were going. He told me they were forced to raise the rates because so many people entered the area last year without "voluntarily" paying at the self check-in station. So basically we all pay for those who skipped out on paying their dues. Whether thats true or not I don't know. That was the explanation I got.

After talking it over with some of the other people in my group we still agreed that with as many times as we go a year, it is the cheapest entertainment you can get for the $$. Its just a little hard to swallow coughing up a bill when just a couple of years ago it didn't cost a dime and really nothing has changed since.

The $40 "one-time entry" is definately not cheap but I agree with some that it may help keep the "non-duners" who are usually coming up there for the wrong reasons away. I'm all for that.

I like my sleep during "normal" sleeping hours thank you!

Old 10-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Seems I don't make as many trips up there these days for quick weekends. . . I know part of it is how busy work has been. I'm probably going to be avoiding some of the big weekends too (getting hit by a sandrail will do that to you.)

I'm with you on the sleeping hours. It seems like that is about the only thing that has changed and funny thing I don't think the rangers really impacted that.

The ones that get me are the quads that go out riding from camp to the hill and back again and again and again at 6am to 8am. I don't have a problem with you going on a morning ride just don't ride where we all have to hear you. Amazing how stupid people can be. If you are riding in the morning go ride on the otherside of the Mt. where you won't bother anyone and you'll have the area to yourself.

I don't mind the night riders. . .seems like there are enough people riding that they end up all being a blur that you can sleep to. The single bikes in the morning riding near camp are looking to become target practice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]