Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

sand tires for sand newbie heading to Silver Lake

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2001, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about paddles.If you don't have the paddles lined up porfeclty what happens?Like from left-right and there not even.YOu could adjust this but adjusting the hubs is that how you guys do it or do you have to have them perfectly mounted?Is that why they lay the qauds on thier side when they are putting paddles on in heovos 3.Are they adjusting the hubs?

Old 01-11-2001, 07:21 AM
Trailblazer

I have hubs lined up, my valve stems lined up, and the paddles are perfectly lined up (done while mounting the tires). It makes no difference, I'm just ****. While riding down the beach (hard, wet sand), the back end hops up and down at low speeds(kind of annoying). If you mount 'em at random, then one side offsets the other and the hop isn't as bad. Again, it wont make a difference in the dunes.

Old 01-11-2001, 11:36 AM
Trailblazer

You don't need to line up the paddles. On sand you can't tell. It doesn't matter. Remember, on sand you don't start off by nursing the throttle. You hammer the gas and spin those paddles (unless you're in camp). As far as jumping, unless there is a huge traction difference between the tires, which there isn't, I can't imagine it would effect your take off.

Old 01-11-2001, 11:46 AM
Range Rover

You are correct. The Sand Skate II is a deep paddle and gets to much bite for the EX. Sand Skat II's are better suited for a Shee with the instant two stroke power. It is not the "v", but the paddle depth.

Old 01-11-2001, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider

Duneman09,

What kind of paddles do you run on your Scrambler? How does the paddle depth of Sand Skate II's compare to paddle depth of Haulers? I'm going to Silver Lake this year, and I think I'm pretty set on seven-paddle Haulers for my 400EX and eight-paddle Haulers for my 250R.

Jerry,

Do you prefer eight or 10 inch tires? I'd think that with .125 aluminum rims, eight inchers would be better. They offer more cursion between the ground and rim, resulting in greater durabilty.

A thought for everyone. If you take a straight paddle and an angled paddle of equal widths, the angled paddle has more surface area and therefore pushes more sand. Theoretically, this will produce more traction but everyone claims straight paddles offer more traction. Weird.

Old 01-15-2001, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider

I want to bump this up. Good discussion.

Old 01-16-2001, 11:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I still think you should run the 10 paddles. You will have no problem pulling those with your mods.

RoostKing...

Old 01-16-2001, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

I've run both V paddles and Haulers (straight paddles) at Silver Lake..the Haulers by far had more traction than the V paddles and were more fun to ride, I'll be hauler equipped for our chat room ride this summer there

Old 01-16-2001, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

I like the look of the 10 inch better and there's less side-wall flex. When you run them at 3 psi, the 8 inchers feel kind of squishy when you're turning.

Old 01-16-2001, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

I "knew" that haulers had more grip...but how will I use that more grip???? In Glamis or Dumont, I would go for haulers, so I can attempt the killer steep and sky high dunes...but in Silver Lake, are there BIG dunes??? Drag racing isn't my goal at all...maybe I will drag race some times, but that's it...so, if I "don't" drag race and there are not many hills where tire grip would make the difference (<- is this right??), what advantages does the hauler have vs the V shape. I mean, if I get the hauler, will I miss something compared to V shape?

New question!! How long does a sand tire last (assuming that it will be used ONLY in sand, no dirt/road/rocks)? Because I thought about this. When we go to Glamis (or Dumont or whatever desert/dune place)(next Christmas, or the year after again), I will be better to have haulers, if I want (I do want) to attempt severe hillclimbs (more grip). With a shee like mine (nothing more than pipes and K&N), how long are the paddles gonna hold on?? (I have absolutely NO IDEA about this). If you tell me they do not wear out quickly, then I'll go for haulers. How long does a tire last (for you duners)?

Quick Reply: sand tires for sand newbie heading to Silver Lake