Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

sand tires for sand newbie heading to Silver Lake

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys, this summer, we're gonna go to Silver Lake (testing the sand, so we're ready to go to Glamis during winter).
I have a shee with pipes and K&N, and am not too bad rider (almost good ). I really don't know much about sand tires. What's the use of straight paddles vs V paddles, how many paddles should I use, will I have to change my front tires (Kenda Front Max...21" I think).
So knowing this...what do you recomend? If I get only rear tires, I will jus get the tires (so 9" tire necessary), if I have to change rim, then I'll put 4 sand tires/rims (I can't have alumnium rar rims and golden fronts!!!).
So...this could turn more in a discussion about sand tires, sinceI really don't know much about it.
Thanks for ANY type of input about these stuff.

Old 01-09-2001, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider

DITTO!!

Im in the same delima.

Were heading out to Little Sahara Dunes in Oklahoma this or next month and I am looking for Skate Trak Edge paddles cheap! I am going to put them on the stock rims so im not changing out all the time. Whats a good place to order from?

My Banshee is pretty much stock but I just ordered some FMF SST's pipe/silencer and Pro Flow kit, now all I need is my paddles for the ocasional dune ride.

Old 01-09-2001, 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

8P Haulers is what I have used at both places. "V" Paddles, like Sand Skates make turning slightly easier, while straight paddles give you better straight line hook up for shooting the hills or racing in the flats. Either way a smaller tire (20") will give you quicker acceleration, and a larger (22") will give you a tad more on top. Usually its easier to buy tires already mounted on a cheap set of rims. Douglas blue's are good for sand, where you really don't need a HD rim, although SL does have a few small sections with rocks, nothing to worry about though.

As for the fronts, I've been to the dunes several times using my Holeshot XC fronts and have never had a problem, save your money there.

Old 01-09-2001, 02:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If its a moded Banshee, you will have no problem running 10 paddles. I use the 10 paddle Scat traks and they work well, but 10 paddle haulers are probably the best... Have fun..

RoostKing...

Old 01-09-2001, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9" size, tires only? Unless you have free rein @ a tire shop or have a bead breaker for dis-mounting/re-mounting I would recommend getting a set of 10" tires w/rims, used or new. It's much easier to swap a set of tire & rims than swapping tires from rim to rim. Don't worry that your gold fronts won't match an aluminum rear set. As for type, I prefer the angled style: Sand Sharks, Sand Skate II's or Skat-Trak Edge's as they do turn & slide better. I can vouch for the first (2) as I'm currently using them. Both hook up excellent in the sand. The Sand Sharks are the cheapest @ around $43-$47 bucks. As your Banshee is only mild on the mods, I'd stick to an 8 paddle tire.

Rude DOG

Old 01-09-2001, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Those of you that say angled paddles turn easier, on what are you basing your opinions? Have you tried both straight and angled paddles? Last year in Glamis, I rode a friend's 400EX with Sand Skate II's. It was difficult to turn. In my opinion, those tires have too much traction for a 400EX. Even with an aftermarket muffler, it could not strongly pull third gear.

Old 01-09-2001, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

I thought a little about getting only the rear tires. Actually, we're not gonna go to Silver Lake every weekend (it's 12hours away), so depending on how we liked the experience, maybe we'll go back, but for now, it's a one time test. This said, I also have free and unlimited access to tire machines at my dad's job. If no one is visiting the company, I can just get there swap my tires and it's over...I don't know though if the machine will fit...it can handle 18" tires (but it's a real battle to put the tires on...has anyone ever tried to put 305/35 18" tires...it's horrible!!), but I dn't know how small it can go. The bead breaker will work anyway...I can even balance my tires!! ahah.
No, I won't have rear alum. and front gold!!!! no, no ,no, no, no...it looks...amateur!!! ahahah. I have to have 4 rims the same colour...otherwise, I won't let anyone take pictures of the quad!

I also read about Silver Lake that only spark arrested machines were allowed...is it very strict? I hve my stock pipes (spark arrested) and some pipes (that I can't find what they are) that have a silencer, but no spark arrestor. It's not over noisy though...will I be able to keep them, or will I be forced to have the slow stock pipes?

Following what some guys said, I will probably be getting V paddles (if I can find any in 9") 8 paddles...since I don't think there are huge hillclimbs in SilverLake and drag racing is fun once in a while...I prefer jumping, roosting, fooling around.
Am I in the right direction?

If I can't find any 9" V shape, then I'll go for straight haulers (I've seen at least one). Otherwise, if I have enough $$$ (actually, I have enough, but do I want to spend 280$us(minimum), whereas I can have as much fun with less than 100? nope. not for a first sand try.)

Do you think I should rather buy them in Montreal or get them from a US company?

Thanks

Trending Topics

Old 01-09-2001, 08:52 PM
Range Rover

Zorro:
With the mods that you have I would recommend a 20" tall and 8 or 9 paddle haulers(straight paddles) or Scat Trac Edges or even Sand SkateII's(V paddles). No matter what paddles you go with it will be hard to turn. Personally I am running 20x10x10 9 paddle haulers for extra wheel spin. The more paddles you have the quicker its going to dig you into a hole. If I was you I would buy the paddles at David Allen Racing..... They are located at the entrance to the dunes at Silverlake and they have great prices. That way there you dont have to pay shipping and import taxes. visit there site at http://davidallenracing.com/
good luck and enjoy the dunes! play safe too
visit my web site for a bunch of silverlake pics and a few videos also

walter

Old 01-09-2001, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Zorro. Friendly riding buddy here. I am getting, before the month of may, 20" V-paddles for the rear along with a full set of front and rear Razrs with the new aluminum rims to go with it all.(for after our trip)

Last time I bought tires here in Quebec I showed the dealer the price that the companies in the states were charging and they matched the price! I had them the next day. If ever you decide to get some up here...let me know. With about 8 tires and 6 rims we could get a heck of a price!

Later

Old 01-09-2001, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

New question, is the predictability affected by vshaped or haulers? I'm talking about predictability when jumping. During take off, right before leaving the ground, when you give that little blip that makes the balance...could this make me go sideways (and crash when landing)...is it different between the 2 sand tires(V or straight)? Or does it simply stay normal, stable and predictable?

Quick Reply: sand tires for sand newbie heading to Silver Lake