Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Winchester Bay ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 04:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, i'm planning a trip (and when i say a trip it is a long one) 3250 miles just to go.
I'm planning to go from Quebec, Canada to Oregon west coast sand dunes in july.
I need your help, need some pictures, web site with good info, need to know if we need spark arrester, flag, special permit from the state, etc ...
I'm also looking for a good and cheap place to stay, found some info on Winchester Bay where there is some cabine, sound's good to me, does anybody know how much it is?
Is there big hill ? Good place to found parts or gaz ?
For those who have been there, is it a good place ?
What is the weather in july?

Thank you for your help and have fun ..

Old 03-14-2001, 06:24 AM
Pro Rider

WINCHESTER BAY GREAT PLACE BIG STEEP DUNES.ATV FLAGS,OREGON OFFROAD STICKER,SILENCERS NEED TO BE AT 93DB AT HALF RPM RANGE,DONT THINK YOU NEED SPARK ARRESTER,LOTS OF PLACES TO GET PARTS OR GAS,STAY AT DISCOVERY POINT RV OR LOCAL MOTELS OR CAMP GROUNDS.COME EARLY IN THE WEEK OR MAKE RESERVATIONS.2 OTHER DUNE AREAS TO RIDE IN ONLY 20 MILES NORTH OR 20 MILES SOUTH. I HOPE THAT HELPS YOU OUT!!

Old 03-14-2001, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Check out www.oohva.org There is a TON of good info there. Rules, regs, maps, camping, etc...

Old 03-17-2001, 03:21 AM
Range Rover

Turtle
If you go to florence or coos bay bring a tent and camp at Driftwood II(Florence) and Spinreel(Coos Bay),these campgrounds have dune access(ride from your camp site). Coos bay is a HUGE area and lots of fun !!! Winchester is a blast too!!(big hills but less riding area than Coos or Florence).You can camp or stay in cabins at discovery point-better get reservations...
Best of luck and enjoy !!!!! P.s. be careful at first...the razorbacks are a rude awakening if your not used to them !!!!

Old 03-17-2001, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

I have some questions about this area. I plan to go out in August during Sandfest and that seems to happen at Winchester bay. My questions are:

Where is the best places to camp in a tent (Or rent a cabin) around there with dune access?

I would guess everything is fully booked by then, how far in advance should I reserve a camping place?

It doesn't look like you can camp near Winchester Bay and still ride to the other areas like coos bay or other places along the coast (too far anyway?). What's the best plan to be able to check out all of the areas during a 1 week time period especially during Sandfest where I would guess that everything is booked up???

Is it really worth going to Sandfest esoecially if I want to hit different areas which will probably mean packing up camp and moving???

How do I find a great paying job so I can move out there permenantly???

Old 03-18-2001, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Hi Raptorron
Look like you know that place well, my friend's wife want to go to the beach while we run our atv, so I'm looking for a cabin anywhere with close access to the beach for her ( mean on foot ) on our side, we can use the truck to bring
our machines to the dunes.
If you can help me with that, that will be very good.
And how is the weather in July, is it to hot ?

Thank you very much.

Old 03-18-2001, 09:03 PM
Range Rover

Reservations for Sandfest will be almost impossible now. I know discovery point campground and 2 of the parks at florence, which is about 20 miles north, are all booked for the week before and after sandfest. I have gone 2 years to sand fest and it's a kick, you see alot of wild rides, from quads to rails to rental cars. You can get sand camping, but it's a first come first serve basis, so you wanna get there abouth the weekend before. Discovery point campground is the host of Sandfest, they also have a website, look them up, they should be able to give you a little better info for camping.