Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Flags for the dunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 02:52 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help; I'm taking my family to Silver Lake this summer, but my son and his friend ride bikes, not quads like the rest of us. Does anyone KNOW where I can find a kit that'll allow me to attach the required dune flags to a motocross bike (specifically a Honda CR125 and CR250)? I'd rather not have to fabricate something that'll fall off and look bad. The MX bikes have no real place to attach anything to, other than axle, or swingarm, and I'm not about to drill a new Honda MX bike swingarm. Any help will be greatly apreciated.

Old 05-04-2001, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

Give them a call they due make for bikes http://www.hinsonracing.com

Old 05-04-2001, 09:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

You can buy the brackets at Dune Land in Silver Lake (it's right next to the dune entrance)
All they are is a piece of angle iron that bolts to the bike axle.

AMJ

Old 05-04-2001, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the quick replies, that gives me something to go on, now I just have to get in gear, and get the stuff I need. Someone said that I wouldn't need paddles for the quads just to have fun, but the bikes would really benefit from them. Does anyone know more on this?.

Old 05-05-2001, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider

if you already have a flag it might not be up to "silver lake" regulations. no triangular flags allowed.
like the last guy said, the shop at the dune entrance has everything you need including flags, and mounts.
I see bikes with knobbies getting around just fine. if you plan on going more than twice a year, I say get a paddle. same goes for quads.

Old 05-06-2001, 01:24 AM
Range Rover

Rocky Mountain ATV, http://www.rockymountainatv.com/ , has what they call a Dune Buddy for mounting flags to bikes for $8.99. Just go to their site and search for Dune Buddy, it shows a picture of it. Looks like it would be easy to make if a person had the materials.

Old 05-06-2001, 02:29 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks again to all, but now "Skull", has brought up a new angle I didn't even think of: are the standard dune flags, like the ones sold by James Lucky and others (triangular) not legal at Silver Lake? Size or shape regulations? Wow, it's always something.

Trending Topics

Old 05-06-2001, 02:30 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks again to all, but now "Skull", has brought up a new angle I didn't even think of: are the standard dune flags, like the ones sold by James Lucky and others (triangular) not legal at Silver Lake? Size or shape regulations? Wow, it's always something.

Old 05-08-2001, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

yup, you got it. the ones sold by james lucky would not be legal at silver lake. I dont even think the hight would be enough out there. I've never seen the type of flags we use in any magazine or catalog.

I think they have to exceed 10'. so if you have a 6 or 8' pole mounted at the axle of a dirt bike it probably would not reach 10'. the flags have to be rectangular and (I think) the requirements are 10x10". I know the rule sheet they pass out at the gate specifly states "no triangular flags".

the shop at the dune entrance has legal flags for about $19. they also sell all sorts of angle brackets and stuff like that so you could attach them to just about anything, but they will smack you with a good price tag on the brackets. so, if you can make something yourself you might be able to save a few bucks. remember this, everything at the duneland shop is jacked up in price at least one third. so, dont forget the little things (like goggles etc.).

Old 05-09-2001, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, I guess I'll save the flags I already have for somewhere else, and purchase the "Silver Lake legal" ones at the local shop there. It almost sounds like a racket between the park administrators, and the local bike parts providers. But, to think that way would label me as a paranoid personality, and they're not really out to get us...are they?

Quick Reply: Flags for the dunes