Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

How hard is it to get into Silver Lake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 09:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of my friends wants to go up to the mounds for the weekend of July 21st and 22nd, but from alot of the stuff that I read it is a pain to get in with the vouchers and all. I figure that we will not get up there till like 10 or 11 Friday night so i am pretty sure that all the vouchers will be gone for the 21st and maybe even for the 22nd.

Is it even worth going through the trouble of driving three and a half hours?

What is your opp?

Old 07-11-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Last year we didn't arrive till later Friday evening and had no troubles with vouchers bright and early Sat morning. This would be on a non busy weekend ( non holiday ) but I am sure it'd be no problem if you get to the voucher stand when it opens. As far as being worth the drive we go 2 times a year at least and it's a 10 hour drive for us. I think it's worth it.

Old 07-11-2001, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i heard they changed the times on picking up vouchers so what is the best time to show up friday to get voucher?

Old 07-12-2001, 08:57 AM
Pro Rider

atc

If you are looking to get a parking lot voucher, they begin handing them out at 6:00pm on Friday and I believe they stay open until late on Friday night. Check the DNR website, but I think they are open until midnight. I would think if you get there on Friday night, you will have no problem getting vouchers for Sat. and Sunday.

Old 07-13-2001, 03:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I live next to Clinton Twp. It is definately worth the trip. Just take 96 all the wat across and you should be able to make it in three hours. Do you have a trailer? Maybe next time we go, we can go together. I have a group of about 8 guys with quads. We go up once a month. My email is Minkia38@hotmail.com if you want to talk
thanks
Ray
00 Banshee - Fast and Furious!

Old 07-16-2001, 07:57 PM
Trailblazer

The only problems I've had is waiting in line and forgettingto get a voucher even if is a dead slow weekend. Then I have to drive back to get a voucher and go back and get in line just a PITA. I always go on Sundays and get ther around 9 am.

Old 07-21-2001, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider

when getting a voucher on friday is that for saturday only. i think it stinks that i have to drive 2 hrs to get voucher drive home then go back next day.

Trending Topics

Old 07-21-2001, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

Unfortanately that's how it works. You used to be able to get Sat vouchers early Sat AM but when we went last weekend all the vouchers were gone Friday night. Maybe you can have a buddy grab one for you. You are not suppose to do this, but it works.

Old 07-21-2001, 11:20 PM
Range Rover

atc86r there's only about a half dozen campgrounds within just a few square miles, why don't you just get a tent and campout on Friday night and get up and ride on Sat. morning? That's what me and my friends along with most the rest of the free world do. It seems pointless to drive all the way there, then back, then there again. Just a thought. Maybe you have a logical explanation I don't know. In a lot of ways I liked the old way of camping on the roadside all night to get in the next morning. Those were some fun times. I guess the locals didn't like the drunks doing burnouts in their huge 4X4's and shooting off fireworks all at 3:00 in the morning huh.......go figure. I miss the 2 mile long block party sometimes, oh well.

Old 07-23-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

yeah i do have an option. we'll be going this friday to get a voucher and maybe even a ride then go to our deer hunting trailer just south of baldwin and come back sat. but i wish i could avoid spending friday night "up north". im going to have to meet someone local who could probably get me one in the future.

Quick Reply: How hard is it to get into Silver Lake?