Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Saint Anthony Dune Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 11:35 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saint Anthony Dune Thread

One of the guys form work went Saturday, he said that with his four-wheel drive quad he had a tough time getting around. There was about six inches of wet snow and he was the only one there with a quad. There were others there on snowmobiles and a bunch of people tubbing down the hills. It may be a while until the sand is clear, Ill update when it is clear enough to ride.

Old 02-04-2003, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Whats it looking like up there?????Snow covered? late,zubbeyboy

Old 02-04-2003, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

Feb 1 We took a chance and went there to see how it was, it was great. There was no snow there and the sand was not frozen. The parking lot was full, lots of riders. It got cold and snowed Saturday night. Too cold for a ride now but first warm day it should be good again.

FYI!!!! The local law enforcement stopped by the parking area when we were gassing up and informed us that he was going to start ticketing all those riding west of Thunder Mountain? I told him I just checked BLM's web page and it said the dunes are open year round with no mention of limited riding area or any closed area. He said that was not the case and he would be ticketing anyone riding in the "closed area" with a fine of $75.00. I emailed BLM for a clarification on this "closed area" I'll post the reply when I receive it but for now be cautious of where you ride.

Old 02-05-2003, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Ticketing for riding west of thunder mountain?????Wheres west of thunder?Is that toward Choke?Man that sucks.Please keep us informed. late,zubbeyboy

Old 02-09-2003, 11:47 PM
Canadian and Proud of it !!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have any more updates on the construction at the BML Campgounds yet. Is there going to be a cost to camp there after the renos.

Old 02-14-2003, 07:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Guys,
I was up to St. Anthony two days ago. The weather wasn't too bad,mid fourties might have evn hit fifty.The dunes are closed west of thunder.From what i could tell from the maps they posted on the board in the parking lot part of them open back up march 31 and the rest open like april 31.I think the camp ground is supposed to be done by Mar 31,not sure.It looks like they have stopped working on it till the weather warms up.It has still been getting down to the single digits at night there.What sand we could ride on was packed down tight and the north faces still had alittle snow.But we still made a good ride out of it.I will see if i can find those maps on Blm's site and post a link to show closed areas when I get home from work.
Later

Old 02-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

JGflow, can you tell us anything about the new BLM campground?

Old 02-14-2003, 10:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well,
The campground looks like its about 2 acres total.So far its nothing but leveled out dirt.They have the fixins for alot of bathrooms sitting there.My guess is they are not going to start working on it again till it warms up.Im not sure if they are going to plant trees or anything,but there is supposed to be alot of spaces to camp.Im not sure if there is going to be full hook-up or not but my guess would be theres gonna be a dump station at least.At minimum it is going to be alot better then it was.I could not find those maps I saw on the bulletin board on Blm's site.I should have took them (ssshhhhh)so I could scan them and post them.But I'm probably not gonna head back up there til around April 5 sometime.
Sorry I cant be of more help.
later

Old 02-15-2003, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey guys,
This is all i could find on the egin lake camp ground.

egin lake

I have never linked before hope its right.
later
Its about halfway down the page.

Old 02-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the text from the link JGflow posted.

Narrative Project Description: The project is to expand existing day use facilities and to develop overnight facilities at the Egin Lakes Access Site. The project is a Title 8 Deferred Maintenance Project which was funded to eliminate health and safety problems at the recreation site. The site is on 20 acres outside the Sand Mountain Wilderness Study Area (WSA). The site's existing facilities is a 2 acre gravel parking lot and a sand dispersed camping area. There is a perimiter fence around the parking area and two vault toilets. There is also a security light pole in the parking lot. The site was built to provide OHV, pedestrian and equestrian access to the St Anthony Sand Dunes. Project improvements at the site are to add and expand vehicle and equestrian parking areas, unloading ramps, information signs, buck & pole fencing and vault toilets. Site pad locations will be developed for a campground host, BLM/law enforcement contact station, vender, and first aid station. A potable water system will be added as well as electricity to the different site pads. An overnight facility for group camping as well as family camping will also be developed. Pedestrian paths will be constructed between the day and overnight use areas and one leading to the WSA. The access road into the site will be widened and paved as well as a bridge will be constructed over an irrigation ditch.

Quick Reply: Saint Anthony Dune Thread