Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
Closest neighbor is about 4 miles away.
There's good reason for that....

Nah, he's a friendly sort. Got to see his canyon spot in 2013 when his Rubicon threw a tie rod end on the Max Reid Trail. Good thing it happened only a few miles from his home. Glad they're adding a trail in that canyon. Good spot for a new trail.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tomorrow will be my first day being trained to operate one of these trailcats.

I will be doing trail maintenance next summer here on the Paiute Trail.

This will all be volunteer work possibly 2 and sometimes 3 days a week.

The best thing about doing volunteer work?? You don't have to do it. You get to.

Old 10-25-2018, 03:10 AM
THE BERMINATOR

My dad's family lived in Dafter Township, MI. The family farm was 120 acres so there weren't really any neighbors to deal with. The house is far enough back from the road that the driveway is on the map in my DeLorme Atlas. I slept good in the farmhouse when it wasn't too cold under a foot thick pile of quilts, or too hot in the summer. The population was 1,263 in 47.9 square miles according to Wikipedia. The population density is about 26.4 people per square mile. One of my uncles owned the only gas station but it closed decades ago. So did the only store in town, where my dad worked as a kid. If you need anything you go to the Soo, and when you gas up you hope you don't get stuck behind a bunch of Canadians that come over to buy cheap gas. One of my cousins was the Postmistress and cross-country skied to work in the winter. Not hard to do when you're only a couple of blocks away. I've only seen one other employee at the post office and they weren't always there at the same time. It seems like everyone is either related to or knows everyone else. "Downtown" is a 3-way intersection with a stop sign. That's what I always considered a small town. Unlike here, it's over 95% whites and native Americans, and less than 4% of 2 or more races. In the 2000 census there were 3 black people, 4 Asians, 1 Pacific Islander, 3 people of other races, and 15 Hispanic or Latinos, but I never saw any of those people.

Raco, named after the the Richardson & Avery COmpany railroad line that used to go through is less than a small town. It's an unincorporated community. They used to have a store with a gas station until the gas company decided it was too far out of the way, or not enough people bought gas there. I can't find any information to tell you how many people live there, but I can only remember seeing a few houses any time I was there. That wouldn't be a bad place to live if you didn't mind driving 50 miles round trip every time you needed something from town, or 15 miles to the reservation and back if you take the back roads. They may all be paved but I'm not sure. I like living just a few blocks from a drug store when I have to go there every week, but I have neighbors up the Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word. And I don't get to play with a trailcat.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider

I love living where I do. I don't mind the 46 mile round trip to the store - I have learned to make a list prior to going.
I technically don't live in a town, we just share the name for mail delivery.

I'm in Salt Lake City on a regular basis and could never live there again or any other large city.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 PM
THE BERMINATOR

My family camped in the middle of the nearly 440,000 acre Huron National Forest a lot. And I do mean a lot. Like every chance we had to get out of town for a weekend. No campground, no neighbors, no problem. I feel like I was raised as much in the woods as the city, and both are home to me. I wouldn't want to spend all my time at home or in the woods. I like being able to take a half hour shower any time I feel like it, and not just heating up a gallon of water on the stove and taking a *****'s bath. And I would go postal if I couldn't get out of town once in a while. Something between the middle of nowhere and a city would be great. If I lived someplace that my yard was measured in acres instead of feet, but was near a city, I think I would be happy. Unfortunately I'm broke and they don't just give places like that away. I'm stuck here, probably for the rest of my life. One of my friends lives with 580 other people in a village that's only 8/10 of a square mile. There are farms all around and he has his own woods in his back yard. I took my ATV over one time and when we rode down the roads nobody cared. We played in a ditch at his father-in-law's farm too. That was fun. And we met a couple of our co-workers who lived 15-20 miles away riding down the road. His 717 people per square mile population density is so much better than the 3,065 people per square mile here that there's no comparison. Half of the white people have left the city since 1960 or it would be twice as crowded.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:19 AM
Pro Rider

I'm close enough to a small city or big town - not sure which one it is. LOL It does have a super walmart and a home depot so there's really nothing you can't find.

I live in a campground that is totally empty 5 months out of the year and I live away from the other campers. We're not a really busy campground and being in a State Park its pretty quiet here. There are only 7 RV spaces and a group area up on the other end from me so even when its full its nice and quiet.

No half hour showers for me. My water heater is only 10 gallons. LOL

I'm in Salt Lake City every other week doing volunteer work so I get my fill of a big city.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

I got my first OJT yesterday.

Here's a short video from last summer. This is a good friend running this trailcat for Utah State Parks OHV Program.

Old 10-26-2018, 07:30 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Big Frank
Unfortunately I'm broke
Me too.

Old 10-26-2018, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Nice machine. That makes trail creation a lot more fun.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:34 PM
THE BERMINATOR

There's no trail. You drive through. There's a trail. Some of the trails I ride have been widened by a bulldozer or something. Maybe a bigger version of that. It's still a single lane with 2 way traffic but we can go faster now.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah