Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2018, 04:59 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
I didn't know if that was supposed to be a joke or not, but don't think it was. I almost posted something in the wee hours of the morning, about the 850s and 1000s, etc. on the market, but I needed to get some sleep and didn't post.

Old 04-03-2018, 05:14 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol- Yeah- nothing out there currently that'll keep up with the polaris scrambler xp 1000 or the can am outlander 1000- both ute's (or, maybe newly classified as "sport-ute" atv's?)

Old 04-03-2018, 05:58 PM
Moto Psycho

Originally Posted by beergut
Lol- Yeah- nothing out there currently that'll keep up with the polaris scrambler xp 1000 or the can am outlander 1000- both ute's (or, maybe newly classified as "sport-ute" atv's?)
Yep. If Yamaha made something to compete with them they would sell thousands.

Old 04-04-2018, 10:03 PM
JRM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, I dropped out of the atv scene when Obama closed up our trails and I went to sleds, with changes this last year the white government jeeps kicking people out have gone away and I'm back now- man, holy F lots of new, so he went with a belt drive Kawie, interesting for sure. I was hoping Honda had build a Rubicon II 700 with the xr650R engine but that never seemed to come to light. looks like Honda has stuck with 50mph limited quads. I will check out that new brute force I'm really not a kawie fan as way back in the 2 smoke days you had to split cases to change a silly crank seal- scared me for life

Old 05-27-2018, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by JRM
SPECTA your still on here after 15 years!!! If you make your way up to northern Oregon swing past for a beer, my 01 Rubicon is still showroom new- other than carb issues. Lots has changed, is Honda out of the sport quad market? First time visiting this thread in over a decade, what quad do you prefer these days? is the new Rubicon anything good, or is the grizz still the only choice for a fast ult quad?
I don't know how I missed this. I was in either Medford or Grants Pass when I made my last post.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hello. I'v been spending quite a few days doing spring cleaning on some trails around here.
I spent the last two days cleaning up another trail.
I tried going up there last year but there were too many downed trees and I was too sick last year to even consider trying to clear them off the trail.
This is one of my very favorite trails here even though its not much more that a couple miles until you come to the end of it.
Its one of those trails that I just creep along in "4-low", take in the scenery and the trails total awesomeness.

Several of these trees were intentionally cut to block the trail. :angry:
At first I thought it might be the Forest Service but Bryan knows this is my favorite trail an I'm sure he would have consulted with me first.

The first day I just wanted to get thru and didn't remove everything off the trail. Besides it makes it funner and this is not a very well ridden trail.

Several of them I just cut and dragged off the trail.

Yet another one cut intentionally. :angry:

I used a ****** block and pulled this one off to the side and trimmed the branches off to open the trail up.

These two big aspens were also dropped intentionally. :angry:

This one I just trimmed off the branches so I could get by. I was trying to be conservative with my batteries.

Mother Nature dropped her share over the last two years too.

This was the last tree for the day because my batteries finally died.

It took a couple really hard jerks to get this one busted so I could drag it off the trail.

That was the end of the day for me.

So I headed home got in my truck and headed for Big Rock Candy Mountain for the best prime rib around. :wub:
And some of the cutest servers. :wub:

Old 05-27-2018, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Day two, back to the same trail.

This trail keeps getting a little more off camber every year.

The Forest Service does zero trail maintenance on this one and that's the way I like it.

This is my favorite kind of riding. Low and slow.

This was where I left off Friday.

Mother Nature dropped this one. It was a pretty big tree. I'll bet a 100 footer.

The big one brought down two smaller ones with it. I cut the tops off and dragged them off to the side of the trail.

Good enough for me. :tup:

I stopped at "The Melting Cabin" for some lunch. Its slowly disappearing. :crying:

The board on the bottom of the picture is the bottom board of the old window frame. :crying:

This was the last tree blocking the trail.

I had to winch myself out of one snow drift and that was enough work for the day.

I'll come back up next week to double check and I should surly make it to the top then.

By the way the Pen-Lock is working like its supposed to.

I used a little of everything today including the chain that I wrap around the trees that's sitting on my floorboard.

I use 50' 1/4" synthetic ropes when I need longer recovery and the straps are just too short.

I'm quite pleased with my 40v chain saw. I think I will order my second 5Ah battery.

Another awesome day. My lower back and shoulders are paying the price today.

Heading back down. :grin2:

Wish videos were 3D. Almost 3 minutes long. One of the longest videos I've ever done. :grin2:

Right now its pouring rain outside. Its another perfect day.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:16 PM
Moto Psycho

It's good seeing you around here again Specta. I know it's lot higher elevation, Utah is about a mile higher on average than Michigan, but it's so strange to see snow there when we have record setting high temperatures here.

If anyone here gets caught cutting down live trees on public land, there's a good chance they're going to jail. Maybe having some stuff confiscated and sold at auction that they're never getting back, too. I guess it depends on if it's state or national forest, and the mood of the forest ranger, but at the very least they'll be paying fines.

I never heard of a PEN-Lock so I had to look it up. That helps take care of the main reason I hear people say they won't buy a Kawasaki 4x4. "The popular Kawasaki Differential Locking Lever" as High Lifter calls it, isn't so popular.

https://www.highlifter.com/accessori...y-pen-lock.asp

Old 05-28-2018, 08:05 AM
Pro Rider

Thank you - not sure if I should call you Jumbo or Frank

I love my Brute Force. Nearly 8000 trouble free miles so far. I use the front locker so little it really wasn't an issue but there have been a few times where I couldn't hold the little yellow lever and do what I was doing.

Like winching out of a bad situation where I needed my left hand to operate the winch. And its nice when cutting through deep snow WOT and I really need both hands to hang on.

I guarantee you that if the Forest Service catches you you're going to lose what ever you have in your possession. We have a new Forest Ranger here and he's thirsty.

That really pissed me off. I believe I know who it is and he thinks he owns the mountain and has tried to close off several trails.

He's fired warning shots, been arrested, ticketed and fined and visited by the Sheriff many times.

If someone could only get him to admit it I'd be a happy camper.

We have a large environmental group here in Utah called SUWA, Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance. They are exactly what every OHV person loathes.

I believe that they were responsible for dragging these trees across this trail. It just doesn't look "natural".

The funny thing is they had to ride an OHV to get there. The very thing they protest against.

I wish we could catch them too.

Old 05-28-2018, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I expect to see all trees, down to twigs, removed from the trails and that they will be smooth as a freeway when I get out there in the fall.

Wish it was a short drive to join you and help out cleaning up the trees. Would love to catch them too. I'm not fond of the people who limit trails to walking, bicycles, and horses. We all pay for the trails, we should all equally be able to enjoy them.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah