Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:22 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are times when I ride that everyone has a Polaris ATV, and other times only half them are Polaris. None of us has had a serious problem yet, but my friend's Sportsman 1000 gave off so much heat that it probably would have melted the wiring if he kept the stock exhaust on it. I'm sure glad I don't have a RZR. After seeing that video they look like death traps.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The big problem here is this has been going on for 5 years and they continue to catch on fire.

You would think that in 5 years they could solve the problem but they don't.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:02 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5 years is a long time to sit on your hands and do nothing. I didn't know about the problem with RZRs until reading it on here a couple of days ago. No one I know has one and I don't read up on them, but most of the SxSs I see on the trails are RZRs. I might see 1 Honda, 1 Arctic Cat, 1 Yamaha, 1 Kawasaki, and 1 of something else for every 20 or more RZRs. A lot of those RZR owners might end up wishing they bought one of the others instead.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The problem is excess heat mostly from the 1000cc engines. Not enough heat shielding. I imagine the turbo engines create even more heat. Those type of utvs aren't really useful around here as there is no place close where you can really use all that power. Maybe a few gravel roads where you could rip down but not for miles and miles at a time. Out west where you have miles and miles of dunes and desert would be the place for them. The 50" machines are more practical in this area. And you have a lot of people who buy the bigger 4 seat utility machines like the Teryx4 to cruise around with the whole family. They're not looking to see how fast they can go, just take a leasurely ride and be comfortable.

Old 08-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Pro Rider

Folks want to bring them here and ride them and they really don't fit well here either. The Paiute Trail is a family oriented scenic trail and there's no room for a 120 hp turbo powered SxS going ***** to the walls.

QWe have trails that even a seasoned rider will enjoy too.

"In its April 2016 recall announcement, which included the model involved in Hoaldrige’s death, the CPSC said it was aware of at least 160 reports of fires and 19 injuries with first, second and third-degree burns.

It’s known that at least three deaths and three dozen injuries already have occurred, but the agency declined to provide an updated count on grounds that “it’s an ongoing investigation.”

And the drumbeat of recalls has continued. Overall, according to a review of CPSC records by FairWarning, Polaris has recalled about 600,000 vehicles due to fire risk over the last 12 years — with nearly two-thirds of those vehicles, or 374,000, recalled in 2016 and 2017."

I'm not bashful when I tell people I loath Polaris and it started way back in 2001.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

I was coming down off the mountain yesterday and saw some Moose tracks going off the edge of the road.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta

I was coming down off the mountain yesterday and saw some Moose tracks going off the edge of the road.
Is that where I crashed?

Old 08-24-2018, 08:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Is that where I crashed?
Yep, this is the place.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

Long day Wednesday. Started out at 7:30 AM at the Forest Service yard loading material for a trail project.

We loaded my ATV trailer and the back of my pickup with these pressure treated 2x6 planks.

I appreciate being able to use either State Park or Forest Service ATVs for these work projects.

Paul didn't get a big enough run at the first hill.
This was one of the few times I wished I had that 850 Touring that I had a few years ago.
Plenty of power and it was heavy. These trailers loaded out weigh the Rubicons that we were towing them with.

This is the main project. Removing and installing a new boardwalk across this marsh.
Its 233 ft long. We figure about 450 planks plus the 12' 8x8 timbers to screw them to plus the 8x8 timbers that will go under the 12' runners.

We'll replace the long boardwalk plus 3 smaller ones like this one.

John and I hauled in 168 planks. It took a few trips.
On our first run with the trailers fully loaded we had to winch up a section of trail about 100 yards.

There's a lot more to haul in plus tons more planks that haven't been cut yet.

Total cost for the material was close to $30,000 which our Committee paid for.
This is what we do. We oversee the Paiute Trail. This year alone we will donate over $70,000 in materials to maintain and upgrade the trail system plus lots of volunteer man hours.

I was treated t a beautiful sunset on my way home to boot.

I'm going back for more on Saturday.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great pics, I like the bag on the Rubicon. Most might want a bigger bag but it looks like it would be plenty big enough for me. Enough room for a small soft cooler and a few other things, would be perfect for me.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah