Family ATVing Photos Post photos of yourself, family and friends on the trail.

Paiute Trail, Utah

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Uggh.... That's awful. I think I'd get the beacon too if I were snowmobiling out there. There's such a risk of avalanche there. Here it's more trees that are the danger. A woman who was 8 months pregnant went into a tree killing both her and her baby...

Old 02-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-17-2019, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Nice pics and videos. Now, that's a job I'd love to do. Koosharem is one of the towns we haven't got into. It's on my list for the next time we come out.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:01 AM
THE BERMINATOR

The videos are so relaxing I think I would fall asleep if I was driving the snowcat.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Nice pics and videos. Now, that's a job I'd love to do. Koosharem is one of the towns we haven't got into. It's on my list for the next time we come out.
You will need to have a pastrami burger at the Koosharem Cafe and a soft serve ice cream cone at the gas station.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Big Frank
The videos are so relaxing I think I would fall asleep if I was driving the snowcat.
There are some stressful moments. It broke down last Saturday night at 11:30 in the evening. I was lucky enough to have a good friend with me that is an electrical engineer who figured it out and got it going again.

Thursday night it was snowing soo bad in Koosharem that I didn't want to risk getting the truck stuck getting off the hwy to unload and decided to call it a night.
Coming home in the storm (it was now raining) I hit a huge boulder in the road that totaled the truck.
It bent the right front suspension and moved the rear axle and bent the frame.
Hitting that boulder and going off the edge of the road with that snowcat behind me scared me to death.
It could have been a lot worse. Totaled the truck, no damage to the cat or trailer and I walked away unscathed.
As I was trying to stop I actually told myself, "you're going to get hurt Kenny". I seriously thought it was going to be bad.

You can see where the blown out tires went off the road and how much the cat shifter on the trailer from the impact.

We had to leave the cat on the side of the road til the next day when I borrowed another truck from another park to go get it.
The good thing is we will get another truck. That 1-ton Chevy with the 8.1L Vortec just isn't enough truck. That F-450 diesel does a much better job.

Old 02-18-2019, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

These along with the others are from Saturday. I don't get out during the day very often but I'm hoping to change that.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Glad you didn't get hurt. That accident sounds awful. I remember driving in Utah and seeing boulders that had cleaved off, hit the road, and came to a stop on the opposite side. Out there falling rock zone is more serious. Glad you're okay.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
Glad you didn't get hurt. That accident sounds awful. I remember driving in Utah and seeing boulders that had cleaved off, hit the road, and came to a stop on the opposite side. Out there falling rock zone is more serious. Glad you're okay.

Thanks Moose - the more I think about it the more I think that it was better me than someone else.

I can only imagine what could have happened if I had hit it without the snowcat behind me. I think it kept me going straight instead of it flipping the truck or throwing me completely off the road. The extra weight I think kept me going straight.

And what if a young family had hit that rock in a mini van or a little car.

All things considered it turned out quite well. No one got hurt.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

Went for a short ride today. It was a beautiful day, the nicest in quite some time.

I did get it cleaned up before I put it away.

Quick Reply: Paiute Trail, Utah