Farming, Beef, Dairy, Insect, Equipment, ETC. Discussion on farming, beef, dairy, insect, equipment, etc

A perfect companion for wherever life takes you - Torxe Tactical Shovels!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:36 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carid
So the measurements of the hex heads are: 10mm, 14mm and 16mm. Not sure if you can use them for the lugs on the wheels, because the shovel is flat. It should help you in emergency situation, but I wouldn't recommend using it as a tool for wrenching full time. The torque applied to fasten the wheels is pretty high so it may eventually damage the screw-thread in the modular handle. Although the shovel is pretty tough to handle all other abuse.
I know you couldn't get the shovel head inside a deep offset wheel to use the wrench, but a section of the handle would be long enough to reach. That's why I said If the handles could be used for a lug wrench it would be even better. Attaching the other handle sections to that handle section would be the tricky part. And my lug nuts are only supposed to be torqued down to 27 ft.-lbs. The handles shouldn't have too much stress on them.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:44 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I forget what they're called but there is a pin with a wire spring that is shaped like 1/2 a circle. It clips over the end of the pin and pivots on a couple holes in the pin. Haven't lost one yet.
Like this? The Polaris Multi-Mount winch on my 01' 500 H.O. had 2 of them. It was so easy to take the winch off the back and put it on the front if I needed it up there, that it takes longer for me to type a reply than switching the winch around did. http://wilsonmfgco.com/products/pin/wirelockpin/

Old 10-17-2018, 07:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forget what they're called but there is a pin with a wire spring that is shaped like 1/2 a circle. It clips over the end of the pin and pivots on a couple holes in the pin. Haven't lost one yet.
Ya that is what I used. I got a tractor and shop a lot at fleet farm Still fell off. The clips are not really tight and no weight hold the pin, when strapped on the back of sled. I could probably try again. But the wing nut works, just have to take cloves off . Hope I don't drop in snow.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Frank
Like this? The Polaris Multi-Mount winch on my 01' 500 H.O. had 2 of them. It was so easy to take the winch off the back and put it on the front if I needed it up there, that it takes longer for me to type a reply than switching the winch around did. http://wilsonmfgco.com/products/pin/wirelockpin/
That's exactly what I was talking about.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 PM
THE BERMINATOR

That's exactly what I was talking about.
I thought so. My first ATV plow used a pair of the square-cornered ones to attach the push tubes to the mount. I had to lay on the ground and use my foot to push and pull the blade back and forth to get one pin in, then lay on the ground again to do the other side. I had to lay on the ground 2 more times to pull the pins back out. It sucks doing that over and over if you ride in the winter like I did back then. If I had a garage it wouldn't be so bad but I'd still have to lay down on the floor. I hit the curb or the edge of one of the concrete slabs in my driveway hard enough to bend the pins. Until I got spare pins I had to hammer them out straight to put them in again. My Glacier plow fixed that problem. There aren't any pins. If you get the right size pins they'll work on a trailer hitch to keep the lever on the coupler from unlatching, but I always use a lock to be on the safe side.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:06 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torxe Tactical shovels are perfect for survival or general outdoor use as they have everything needed to cover you up in any unexpected situation. You can find all the features of this product and see it in action in our new video on RECREATIONiD YouTube Channel!

Old 11-13-2018, 01:14 AM
THE BERMINATOR

If I'm wearing pants I always have knife in my pocket, unless I'm in a courthouse where I've have gotten a non-metallic knife past the metal detector, but that's another story. So unless I'm out shoveling with no pants on for some unforeseen reason, I don't need a knife in the shovel handle. The knife in my pocket is a lot easier to get to than that one, but if reaching into my pocket is too much trouble, I'll use the multi-tool that's in a belt pouch on my hip. I already have a shovel that chops wood, and I don't need a wrench that I can't actually use as a wrench. And I can pick mushrooms without a knife. Cutting them makes them go bad a lot faster anyway. I'm thoroughly unimpressed by the last video.

Old 11-13-2018, 08:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Frank
If I'm wearing pants I always have knife in my pocket, unless I'm in a courthouse where I've have gotten a non-metallic knife past the metal detector, but that's another story. So unless I'm out shoveling with no pants on for some unforeseen reason, I don't need a knife in the shovel handle. The knife in my pocket is a lot easier to get to than that one, but if reaching into my pocket is too much trouble, I'll use the multi-tool that's in a belt pouch on my hip. I already have a shovel that chops wood, and I don't need a wrench that I can't actually use as a wrench. And I can pick mushrooms without a knife. Cutting them makes them go bad a lot faster anyway. I'm thoroughly unimpressed by the last video.
Seriously, wear the pants.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:02 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Originally Posted by scootergptx
Seriously, wear the pants.

Yeah, the neighbors wouldn't like the view when I bent over.