General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

Opinions from you pro's

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 200 miles on my xp 850 and it has been fantastic so far. I don't think you can find a better and comfortable ride out there with any other manufacturer. I haven't ridden the grizzly and I'm sure it's a good bike but it needs an extra 150 cc's and that's why I did not even shop it when I was buying. I am confident that the polaris will be dependable. Polaris would not release a bike that has not been properly tested. Any issues people have mentioned on this forum are minor and few and far in between. Most xp owners on this forum will have glowing reviews if you ask them but you typically only hear from those people that have issues. The polaris feels very nimble for a bike that is so heavy. I feel the extra weight makes it more surefooted at high speeds and generally on the trail. I have had it wide open at 80 mph and I never felt like I was losing control. Cody700, I rode with a Griz a few weeks back and trust me, the Griz can't keep up on any straighaway. Not even close. The only bike the Griz was in front of was the Rincon and that's nothing to brag about in performance.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Tundra27
I have about 200 miles on my xp 850 and it has been fantastic so far. I don't think you can find a better and comfortable ride out there with any other manufacturer.
I've ridden both and the XP is clearly superior to the 700 Grizzly in acceleration and ride quality. Those two things were really important factors to me. It feels like you're literally being pulled off the back during hard acceleration. The engine note is awesome too. I love the street bike like rumble of the XP at idle. The low end torque is out of control and it just keeps getting better as you dip into the throttle.....serious adrenaline rush.

That being said, I'd say it's not worth trading an '09 Grizzly for one and taking that sure loss. The Grizz is an awesome rig too. I like the looks of them. They're compact and tough looking. I'd just enjoy it. The finish is of the highest quality. The product is one of the best selling ATVs, if not the best selling ATV for a reason. Yamaha makes amazing products and there's no reason to get rid of what you have IMO. Now, if you were just starting your shopping, and the money was not an issue, I'd definitely say go XP.

-And this is honestly not in any way to justify my own purchase to myself or anybody else. There's no need to try and impress anybody with my big bad 850. I just liked it better, and still do. It's an awesome little unit. But that's my own experience.......The only way you're going to be sure is to ride your friend's again and see if you MUST have one.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

for that matter if you want that same clutch stall then you can put an aftermarket clutch in the grizzly and really boost takeoff........yamaha is way more user friendly and dependable than polaris

Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by NewportHillClimber
for that matter if you want that same clutch stall then you can put an aftermarket clutch in the grizzly and really boost takeoff........yamaha is way more user friendly and dependable than polaris
I understand you may like Yamaha but I've seen as many Yamaha's broken down in the bush as I've seen Polaris quads. Your comments might apply 10 years ago but I would say that Polaris is at or near the top for dependability right now. Griz is a great bike, it does everything well but it is not the best in any specific area. If anything, Yamaha can be faulted for not modernizing their models. As a result, they've fallen behind in looks and performance. Other manufacturers such as Canam, Polaris and even Arctic Cat have gone a long way with their bikes. I think the days of Honda and Yamaha ruling are over. When I bought I never even considered Yami or Honda. In my honest opinion, I just don't think they can compete anymore unless they come out with something new, bigger and better. Same as before just won't cut it.