General Chat Ask for ATV help above in the Brand Discussions Area. Use this forum to discuss Life, Music, ETC. Or discuss pretty much anything BUT no political or religious threads. There's an area for that.

ATV Ankle/Foot injury. Footwear suggestion please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Ankle/Foot injury. Footwear suggestion please!

Question: I was wearing sandals while ridding my ATV. Had I NOT been wearing sandals, and HAD I been wearing suitable riding boots with proper riding protection and ankle support, would I have suffered such a bad injury?

Description: I got into an ATV accident recently, and dislocated my ankle from my leg, and my lower foot from my upper foot (I don't remember the specific bones) as well as up to 5 or more fractures between these areas. I have to have surgery to relocate my foot and I am expected to be in a cast for up to 4 months.

I was wearing a helmet, I was driving responsibly as I always do, and I was only driving about 10 miles an hour when I hit a rock and flew off.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you ride an ATV in sandals? I'm willing to bet my own foot, that any 10mph crash with riding boots would have been a non issue.

You can break your foot in a riding boot too, but it usually takes a heck of a lot more than a 10mph crash......

You should be wearing some form of boot on an ATV...... even if its a full leather work boot of some type, it will save your foot damage in a low speed crash. Or from debris like rocks and sticks coming up......

I used to wear regular work boots until I hit a stick once that came up and jabbed my leg, it tore the boot and cut my leg..... That was many years ago and since then I always wear my riding boots on my sport quad.... Even if I'm on my Ute just mowing the lawn I'll wear some good quality work boots or a pair of heavy hiking boots......

Sneakers, sandals....... you are just asking for a foot injury on an ATV......

Old 05-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

There are all sorts of riding boots available that have a stiff plastic outside to protect the foot. I've never worn them but the guys who race quads swear by them. I also where work boots when riding and they do help compared to a low shoe.